upgrading to new mac with lesser inbuilt drive capacity

Hello all,

I have a 27", 2017 iMac, with 2 TB HDD.

I am planning to replace it with a M2 pro Mac mini, but with a smaller (512 GB) capacity drive and add an external 2 TB SSD to save money.

How should I prepare to transfer all my data to the new mac mini ?

Can I simply use the migration assistant to transfer everything from old to new ?

Thanks in advance

VRB

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 10:34 AM

How much disk space are you using on the current 2T iMac?

Down sizing is never easy and you generally end up between a rock and a hard place.

IMHO you need room to grow and the best thing to do,

is reduce down to around 350GB before migrating to a 512GB model Mac mini.

or..... to reduce down to around 750GB before migrating to a 1T model Mac mini.

Anything else requires moving your larger Music, Movies and Photos Libraries off to and external drive.

Then using a second external drive to backup the Libraries and/or including them in your Time Machine backups.

At this point, you will have to weight the connivence and price difference, between getting the Mac mini with more internal storage space or having to purchase 1 or 2 more reliable external drives to hold the overflow.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2023 10:34 AM in response to vrmac

How much disk space are you using on the current 2T iMac?

Down sizing is never easy and you generally end up between a rock and a hard place.

IMHO you need room to grow and the best thing to do,

is reduce down to around 350GB before migrating to a 512GB model Mac mini.

or..... to reduce down to around 750GB before migrating to a 1T model Mac mini.

Anything else requires moving your larger Music, Movies and Photos Libraries off to and external drive.

Then using a second external drive to backup the Libraries and/or including them in your Time Machine backups.

At this point, you will have to weight the connivence and price difference, between getting the Mac mini with more internal storage space or having to purchase 1 or 2 more reliable external drives to hold the overflow.

Apr 15, 2023 8:42 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks for your reply. I am using about 75% of the disk space currently on iMac. Will keep your advice in mind.

I have checked the prices of external SSDs and having 2 x 2TB drives is still cheaper than buying a mac mini M2 with 2 TB of disc space. And speed wise, I believe a fast external SSD should be fine for keeping music and photos on the external drive, while work stuff can be kept on the internal one.

Apr 16, 2023 5:29 AM in response to vrmac

FWIW, I keep nearly all my data on an external encrypted drive (with a second drive for backup of course). That includes photos, music, videos, etc. The only data that is kept are things that that are tightly linked to apps, like mail, and the rest is just apps and macOS system files. That gets me down to a very lean system disk. I do have a third, smaller drive as a backup to the internal.

The advantage to this, if you need to wipe and re-install the system or get a new computer, it only takes a short time to retire your apps and settings then you simply plug in the "data drive" and off you go with perhaps some quick linking to libraries on the external drive.

Apr 16, 2023 8:51 AM in response to vrmac

The decision can also depend on the number and types of apps you have. Unlike the old days where Apps did not carry a lot of support files with them and could run off an non-booting volume, many recent versions, in addition to being larger, require that they be on the boot volume to work at all. I believe you must assume that ALL apps and their support file need to be on the internal drive.

If you've not yet bought the Mini, reconsider storage capacity. Investing in a larger factory SSD now may save you a lot of grief latter.

upgrading to new mac with lesser inbuilt drive capacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.