Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating from Time Machine to new Mac witch smaller internal HD

I own an iMac with a 1gig HD. I am contemplating purchasing a Mac Mini with a smaller HD and using an external SSD for additional capacity. Will Migration Assistant or Time Machine allow me to determine where (which drive) I want to restore to on my new Mac?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 12:59 PM

Actually, it depends.

It depends on what data you want to store on the external vs. internal drive.

If you choose to, essentially, clone your Mac system onto the Mac Mini, then you don't have a lot of control.

However, if you first setup your account on the Mini, and specifically configure the target directories first, before initiating the Time Machine restore, then you may have some option.

For example, if you want to store your home directory on the external drive, boot the new Mini, create your account, and configure the (empty) home directory on the external drive.

Now when you initiate Time Machine, it will restore your home directory data to the external drive, and non-home directory data on the internal drive. Viola!

It can be tricky, though, depending on what level of content division you want. You might find it works for things like you Music library or Photos albums.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2023 12:59 PM in response to MBER

Actually, it depends.

It depends on what data you want to store on the external vs. internal drive.

If you choose to, essentially, clone your Mac system onto the Mac Mini, then you don't have a lot of control.

However, if you first setup your account on the Mini, and specifically configure the target directories first, before initiating the Time Machine restore, then you may have some option.

For example, if you want to store your home directory on the external drive, boot the new Mini, create your account, and configure the (empty) home directory on the external drive.

Now when you initiate Time Machine, it will restore your home directory data to the external drive, and non-home directory data on the internal drive. Viola!

It can be tricky, though, depending on what level of content division you want. You might find it works for things like you Music library or Photos albums.

Apr 4, 2023 6:49 AM in response to Camelot

I may be going down a rabbit hole to save $200-. My current HD has about 750GB of 1TB. I was thinking that at the speed of SSDs, I might save a few bucks by moving larger directories such as documents, photos and music to an external. I was even thinking of moving some apps.

I wonder if that's just going to make the overall system more complicated. Perhaps I need to buy the 1TB internal HD and then consider moving some of the larger directories to an external. Even my iMac could be upgraded. I'm sure the new M2 Mac Mini will be an excellent computer. I just hate the fact that I can't make changes to memory and storage.

Migrating from Time Machine to new Mac witch smaller internal HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.