Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does "Offload Unused Apps do?

And how can I determine what apps will be offloaded or were offloaded?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 1:32 PM

It will effectively delete an app to save storage space, but keep all the associated user data. Once an app has been offloaded, there will be a little cloud with a downward pointing arrow showing which apps have been offloaded. If the app is needed and one is connected by Wi-Fi or maybe the app is small (and under the cellular app download size limit) then the user can tap on the app and it will download the app. It should pick up with all the settings and data that were there when it was offloaded.

I get a lot of apps automatically offloaded on my iPhone and iPads when I don't use them. There's some setting that decides when it should be offloaded. If you use an app daily it won't offload.

If an app has been deleted (or was downloaded to another device on the same Apple ID) but was once on the iOS device, when there's a search of that app you'll see the same cloud with arrow.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2019 1:32 PM in response to MikeLV

It will effectively delete an app to save storage space, but keep all the associated user data. Once an app has been offloaded, there will be a little cloud with a downward pointing arrow showing which apps have been offloaded. If the app is needed and one is connected by Wi-Fi or maybe the app is small (and under the cellular app download size limit) then the user can tap on the app and it will download the app. It should pick up with all the settings and data that were there when it was offloaded.

I get a lot of apps automatically offloaded on my iPhone and iPads when I don't use them. There's some setting that decides when it should be offloaded. If you use an app daily it won't offload.

If an app has been deleted (or was downloaded to another device on the same Apple ID) but was once on the iOS device, when there's a search of that app you'll see the same cloud with arrow.

What does "Offload Unused Apps do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.