Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help creating a shortcut/hotkey on Mojave

Dear community,

Does anyone know how to create a shortcut/hotkey in Mojave but just with "Control-Command" not an adicional letter, just "Control-Command" and that combination giving me an output?

Best

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 2:20 PM

What output do you want? Have you tried the Text section of the System/Keyboard/Text preference pane. Instead of Option+Command you can use some letter combination like xrat to add whatever text you want.

If you're looking to execute some function in an application try the System/Keyboard/Shortcuts/App Shortcuts preference pane.

A 3rd party solution to what you want to do would be to get Keyboard Maestro. It will let you do just about anything with any key or letter combination. I use it and have over 100 shortcuts I use to open files/apps, enter predetermined text, select menu options, etc.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2019 2:20 PM in response to liturra

What output do you want? Have you tried the Text section of the System/Keyboard/Text preference pane. Instead of Option+Command you can use some letter combination like xrat to add whatever text you want.

If you're looking to execute some function in an application try the System/Keyboard/Shortcuts/App Shortcuts preference pane.

A 3rd party solution to what you want to do would be to get Keyboard Maestro. It will let you do just about anything with any key or letter combination. I use it and have over 100 shortcuts I use to open files/apps, enter predetermined text, select menu options, etc.

Aug 14, 2019 3:13 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your answers.

Sadly, System/Keyboard/Shortcuts/App Shortcuts preference pane asks me for a specific letter in addition to "Control-Command".

I have installed a menu/status bar app that triggers an action every time I press "Control-Command". I discovered this by mistake because I have a Microsoft Mouse with a side button (for Windows menu) which triggers it every time I slide my finger over it.

So, I thought it would be handy to assign that "useless" button to other actions within Mojave, such as opening a Doc or creating a memo, something like that.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Best.

Help creating a shortcut/hotkey on Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.