Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exclude photos from iPhone update

I would like to make a backup of my iPhone to my Windows computer without copying the photos. I've already heard the idea that you can backup with iCloud, and that will prevent iTunes from copying the photos. That's not what I want. Is there a way to exclude photos from an iTunes/iPhone backup? It's 43gb that isn't necessary to copy over, either to my computer or to the cloud.

Thanks

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 11:25 AM

You cannot selectively exclude content from an iOS device backup. Note it is only the camera roll that is included in the backup, not any images you may have uploaded to the device. If the images are already being synced to iCloud Photo Library then they would also be excluded. If most of your photos are in the camera roll you can copy off any that haven't already been copied, then empty the camera roll and sync back what you want to the device. See also About iCloud Music Library icons and status - Apple Support.

tt2

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2019 11:25 AM in response to 4mePenguin

You cannot selectively exclude content from an iOS device backup. Note it is only the camera roll that is included in the backup, not any images you may have uploaded to the device. If the images are already being synced to iCloud Photo Library then they would also be excluded. If most of your photos are in the camera roll you can copy off any that haven't already been copied, then empty the camera roll and sync back what you want to the device. See also About iCloud Music Library icons and status - Apple Support.

tt2

Exclude photos from iPhone update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.