Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Admin account issue

Accidentally changed my admin account to a standard account. Now I do not have admin access to change anything. How can I login as the admin?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 7:33 AM

Reset Admin Password

Restart in Recovery Mode (command-r). From the Utilities menu in the Mac OS X Utilities menu, choose Terminal. At the prompt enter “resetpassword” (without the quotes) and press Return. A Reset Password window will pop up. Select your startup volume in the top of the window and then, from the pop-up menu select a user account.

In the fields below enter and confirm your new password then click on Save. Now choose Restart from the Apple menu. Your Mac should now use the new password you’ve created.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2019 7:33 AM in response to jgwicks

Reset Admin Password

Restart in Recovery Mode (command-r). From the Utilities menu in the Mac OS X Utilities menu, choose Terminal. At the prompt enter “resetpassword” (without the quotes) and press Return. A Reset Password window will pop up. Select your startup volume in the top of the window and then, from the pop-up menu select a user account.

In the fields below enter and confirm your new password then click on Save. Now choose Restart from the Apple menu. Your Mac should now use the new password you’ve created.

Admin account issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.