Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Make my MacBook Air user account admin again

I tried to change the admin username on my Mac, but it accidentally changed the account to Standard, how can I get the admin account back? It’s refusing to take the old and the new user name

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 1:57 PM

Here is an article written by a respected forum contributor which should allow you to do what @PeterChrisM was suggesting:

Restarting Setup Assistant to create Admin user account - Apple Community

If these instructions don't help to create a new admin user account, then you will need to perform a clean install of macOS as mentioned by @PeterChrisM.

FYI, after creating a new macOS user account, you will then need to fix what you broke on the old admin user account by using the instructions in this Apple article as a guide:

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

Keep in mind a clean install of macOS will destroy all data on the drive, so make sure you have a backup of your data. If you don't have a current backup, then you will have to do a lot more work to be able to access the data to back it up now that you don't have a valid admin user anymore. How this can be done may depend on the exact model of Mac involved since it may be impossible to access that data on a 2018+ Mac if you are unable to authenticate when accessing Recovery Mode.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2023 1:57 PM in response to kellylovesk

Here is an article written by a respected forum contributor which should allow you to do what @PeterChrisM was suggesting:

Restarting Setup Assistant to create Admin user account - Apple Community

If these instructions don't help to create a new admin user account, then you will need to perform a clean install of macOS as mentioned by @PeterChrisM.

FYI, after creating a new macOS user account, you will then need to fix what you broke on the old admin user account by using the instructions in this Apple article as a guide:

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

Keep in mind a clean install of macOS will destroy all data on the drive, so make sure you have a backup of your data. If you don't have a current backup, then you will have to do a lot more work to be able to access the data to back it up now that you don't have a valid admin user anymore. How this can be done may depend on the exact model of Mac involved since it may be impossible to access that data on a 2018+ Mac if you are unable to authenticate when accessing Recovery Mode.

Jul 12, 2023 2:08 PM in response to kellylovesk

You need to create a new admin user, 

reboot into Single User mode:

Boot to single user mode while powering up  hold down (⌘-S)

Launch Terminal and type exactly

sbin/fsck -fy  and press run or return

/sbin/mount -uw / and press or return

m /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Restart

Setup Assistant should display and prompt you to create a new user. New user will automatically have admin rights. Should work for you.

Make my MacBook Air user account admin again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.