Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting 2015 27" iMac to TV monitors via Belkin Thunderbolt to HDMI or to DVI adaptors not working.

My iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) won't connect to HDMI monitor or TV. Nor would it connect DVI cable to TVs. My 2011 generation iMac worked using adaptors out of the Thunderbolt port. I've tried the adaptors on my 2012 MacBook Air and it works fine.

Is there a compatibility problem with the monitors, by chance? Has anyone else had this problem?

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 1:04 PM

Please read the instructions in https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-your-tv-as-a-display-mchlp1206/mac

Also, when posting we MUST know which version of Mac OS is installed to provide correct instructions. Without this vital information we are guessing.

7 replies

Aug 15, 2019 1:52 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for that link/suggestion. However, it is not working. I had taken it to the Apple store and they checked to see if it would work. They connected a monitor to my iMac using a Thunderbolt cord connected to each. It worked. The also ran diagnostics that showed that both Thunderbolt ports were functioning fine. Though I just tried to connect my MacBook Air to the iMac using a T-bolt cable and neither registered the other.

The iMac is operating on Mojave 10.15.6, but this issue has predated this version being loaded. It has never been able to connect to an external monitor. The Air is running 10.15.5.

Aug 16, 2019 7:42 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I ran safe start (just holding the 'Shift' button) and the safe start recommended to Reset NVRAM or PRAM. While the computer is starting quicker now (thank you for that), it is still not connecting with the monitor. I did get a message on the monitor that reads "Unsupported signal. Please check the device output." But now I again get "No Signal" on the monitor.

Connecting 2015 27" iMac to TV monitors via Belkin Thunderbolt to HDMI or to DVI adaptors not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.