Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting an external display

I have an Acer B226HQL monitor that I want to connect to my 2015 Pro running Monterey 12.6.1 using the HDMI port. When I make the connection, the Mac monitor flashes and then goes dark. Nothing on the Acer. I disconnect it and the display on the Mac returns.

I have followed instructions but nothing works. Any ideas on how I can make this connection to the external monitor work?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 3:06 PM

<< as soon as I plug in the HDMI (whether or not it's connected to the monitor), the Mac screen flickers and goes dark. >>

That cable sounds defective.

to get a Mac display to be come active, the Mac sends a query to the external display, which answers with its name and capabilities before it is "recognized" as connected.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2022 3:06 PM in response to Angelb63

<< as soon as I plug in the HDMI (whether or not it's connected to the monitor), the Mac screen flickers and goes dark. >>

That cable sounds defective.

to get a Mac display to be come active, the Mac sends a query to the external display, which answers with its name and capabilities before it is "recognized" as connected.

Connecting an external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.