Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep running Fan and not running Activity Monitor

I posted a problem some time ago, saying that my fan keeps running the whole night. However, I have to repost it because I discovered things are going way more complicated. I did PRAM and SMC reset with my battery plugged in and that didn't fix the problem. Surprisingly, when I called Apple, the fan worked just like normal and closed after closing the lid. After getting home I finally realized why. Every time I plug in my laptop the fan runs crazily, even if I closed the lid. However after I unplug it, the fan goes back to normal. It just like my Mac is running something on its own when the battery is connected. I just updated to the newest version of Mac, by the way. I tried to open Activity Monitor but it won't open. When I use another account to check the problem, however, everything works, including the activity monitor and the fan, even when I'm connecting to the power. I begin to wonder if this could be a virus or something related to my account instead of my laptop. I remembered installing and uninstalling BootCamp Windows and Parallels several times, but both from official websites. I don't know if that will matter. Also, is there a way to check virus without paying anything? I haven't bought CleanMyMac or MacKeeper and I don't really want to buy them.

And once again, those are the battery information.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 12:12 PM

It is odd behaviour, especially if it is only on your account.

One thing you could do is transfer the data to a new account and delete the current account if the issue is only happening on your account.

Sophos Antivirus is free: https://home.sophos.com/en-us/free-mac-antivirus.aspx if you want to check to see if you have a virus on your mac.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2019 12:12 PM in response to joeycao2004

It is odd behaviour, especially if it is only on your account.

One thing you could do is transfer the data to a new account and delete the current account if the issue is only happening on your account.

Sophos Antivirus is free: https://home.sophos.com/en-us/free-mac-antivirus.aspx if you want to check to see if you have a virus on your mac.

Aug 20, 2019 7:44 AM in response to HWTech

I used MalwareBytes and deleted some files and after I restart the device and try to launch MalwareBytes again, it crashed, just like my activity monitor. More and more plugins in Chrome started to crash recently and while I'm writing this, I received a notice from Adobe, telling me that the Creative Cloud had just crashed as well. It just feels like the whole laptop is crashing.

Keep running Fan and not running Activity Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.