Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fans Working Overtime after new update to MacOS Monterey

Hi. Since updating my MacBook Air 2020 to MacOS Monterey recently, my fans have been running constantly and making my computer feel hot to the touch. Simply checking my email or writing in Microsoft Word causes this, or the fans are running when the screen is just on and not being used. It's draining my battery extremely fast and makes charging while using it very slow. Prior to this update, the fans would only run when using Zoom or connecting a second screen via HDMI, which made sense to me.

I'm somewhat technologically challenged, so I'm not sure how to see what exactly is causing this issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I have to wait for a new update with patches? Thanks!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 5, 2021 1:45 PM in response to Erica_McIntosh

There could also be some Run Away process or application. Check in System Monitor >> View >> View ALL processes. Look in CPU Tab for unusually high CPU usage by Name and do same in Memory Tab. This may help identify the offending process / application.

One can normally Force Quit the process from within Activity Monitor using Tool in Menu Bar.

Fans Working Overtime after new update to MacOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.