Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new MacBook Air 2020 : extremely loud fan

I purchased the device one day ago and have only been using Safari and Anki. This fan is constantly running on a very high RPM and the bottom of the laptop seems to get hot fairly quickly. The fan(s?) are always in the clear as I use it on a stand, so insufficient air circulation does not seem to be the issue. I also tried the SMC reset, which was not helpful. The activity monitor also does not show any major programs that might be running in the background to cause this issue.

....thoughts? I am running out of ideas. This is pretty disappointing so far. My old 2015 model has not caused any of these problems.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 1:56 PM

AT_Still Said:

"Brand new MacBook Air 2020 : extremely loud fan: [...]It was a bit tricky to delete but after restarting the computer it seems to have solved the problem."

-------

Why Risk a Faulty Device?:

Even if an uninstallation and restart fixed this, have it looked at. If purchased from Apple, ask them to take a look at it. You have a one-year out-of-the-box limited warrant with this item. So, rather than risk a faulty device - send it into Apple, having them take a look at it. So, have this looked at:

Apple Phone Support Info:

Perform Send-In Service:

With many Apple Stores currently closed at the moment, all there may be available for service is send-in service. So, contact Apple, and have them look at it.

1. Apple: would send you a box
  2. You: would sent it to Apple
  3. Apple: would look at it, letting you know your options
  4. You: would determine whether or not to get it serviced
  5. Apple: would service it
  6. You: would get the Mac back.

For Thought: If needed, write some notes on what particular things they should look at (i.e. certain locations of the fan on the Mac), and include the paper of notes in the box.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2020 1:56 PM in response to AT_Still

AT_Still Said:

"Brand new MacBook Air 2020 : extremely loud fan: [...]It was a bit tricky to delete but after restarting the computer it seems to have solved the problem."

-------

Even if an uninstallation and restart fixed this, have it looked at. If purchased from Apple, ask them to take a look at it. You have a one-year out-of-the-box limited warrant with this item. So, rather than risk a faulty device - send it into Apple, having them take a look at it. So, have this looked at:

Perform Send-In Service:

With many Apple Stores currently closed at the moment, all there may be available for service is send-in service. So, contact Apple, and have them look at it.

1. Apple: would send you a box
  2. You: would sent it to Apple
  3. Apple: would look at it, letting you know your options
  4. You: would determine whether or not to get it serviced
  5. Apple: would service it
  6. You: would get the Mac back.

For Thought: If needed, write some notes on what particular things they should look at (i.e. certain locations of the fan on the Mac), and include the paper of notes in the box.

Dec 26, 2020 7:14 AM in response to AT_Still

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Disk Optimizers etc installed? All the afore mentioned are totally useless, cause issue and can corrupt the operating system. So should be removes via the Developers instructions asap.

Are there Apps installed that may not be compatible / required updates to make compatible with whatever version on macOS installed.

If the machine was bought that recent - did it come with Catalina or Big Sur. This can be verifies by click the Apple icon on Desktop >> About This Mac

Dec 26, 2020 9:26 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you so much! I went through my apps and saw that I had the Karabiner app still installed. I don't use it anymore but it always pops up with notifications so I thought I'd give it a shot. It was a bit tricky to delete but after restarting the computer it seems to have solved the problem. I'm not sure if it might have been incompatible, but my mac has been quiet for the past hour.

Dec 26, 2020 2:45 PM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:

AT_Still Said:
-------

Sending the device in for inspection is completely pointless and risks Apple replacing it with a reconditioned substitute as the easy option. A fan running continuously after software update is extremely unlikely to be a hardware fault. The problem was starting to sound like a software issue as suggested by @P Phillips and the OP confirmed it by identifying and removing the app causing it. Confirmed by testing. Conclusion: App not compatible with software update, no fault in hardware.

Dec 26, 2020 3:06 PM in response to Branta_uk

Branta_uk Said:

"Sending the device in for inspection is completely pointless and risks Apple replacing it with a reconditioned substitute as the easy option."

-------

Why Take the Chance?

As the OP said: This fan is constantly running on a very high RPM and the bottom of the laptop seems to get hot fairly quickly. I'd get mine looked at, if it had the option. Mine is being looked at, and is sent-in for service.

Based on a Personal Experience:

My other MacBook Pro had to be looked at 11 times and then I got a free $2,500 upgrade - being faulty and unfixable, and being a patient customer, I was charged for no more than the price of the AppleCare Plus.

Brand new MacBook Air 2020 : extremely loud fan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.