Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Early 2015 Macbook Pro overheating issue even when doing a simple task

Hello all,

I have an Early 2015 Macbook Pro with macOS Monterey, 16GB RAM, and 1TB Samsung 970 EVO.

Recently replaced the new battery and everything looks brand new. no internal dust all in min condition however, my MacBook keeps getting hotter even if I'm trying to do a smaller task. Mostly CPU Core 1 and CPU PECI are the only two things that get extremely hotter than others.

I have put a new thermal past but I still don't have any luck :(

The system fan won't automatically kick in until the Mac gets extremely hot let's say around 100 Celsius + so I decided to use 3rd party fan controller to keep my fan running without stopping.

Have anyone have the issue that I'm having? or any solution to this issue?

Check the screenshot of the temperature.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 2:22 PM

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected....it may complain about the third party SSD and the third party battery.

Try an SMC Reset and possibly a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for at least three chimes if possible).

Boot into Safe Mode to see how the laptop performs. I've never heard of any regular apps which would interfere with the macOS cooling system other than those specifically designed to adjust fan speed so if Safe Mode has things working better, then look into the third party apps which are installed.

If none of this helps, then there must be a hardware issue with the Logic Board.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 2:22 PM in response to Anthonyinit

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected....it may complain about the third party SSD and the third party battery.

Try an SMC Reset and possibly a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for at least three chimes if possible).

Boot into Safe Mode to see how the laptop performs. I've never heard of any regular apps which would interfere with the macOS cooling system other than those specifically designed to adjust fan speed so if Safe Mode has things working better, then look into the third party apps which are installed.

If none of this helps, then there must be a hardware issue with the Logic Board.

Early 2015 Macbook Pro overheating issue even when doing a simple task

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.