Related Article: About fans and fan noise in your Apple product

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MACBOOK AIR 2020 OVERHEATING

Hi,

In last few days it started to happen, my macbook air 2020 (bought is as refrubished in April 2021) is extremly overheating. Fan is making loud noise and computer is hot!

I did not do, or watch anything different then what I usually do. How to fix this? Or why is that happening?

Thanks for any suggestions.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 10:25 PM

It is this model, it is defective. Mine heats up and fans are super loud if more than two applications are open. Sometimes even just one. I use only Safari as well and it does not matter. Resetting the SMC won't do anything for this, nothing does.

5 replies

Nov 13, 2021 3:07 PM in response to meme1712

Follow the tips in this article to keep your Mac at cooler operating temperatures: Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

• Don't use a keyboard cover; your Mac lets heat through the keyboard
  • Use your Mac on a flat surface that doesn't block any vents. Don't use your Mac notebook on a bed or pillow.
  • Don't block any vents on your Mac.
  • Keep your Mac up-to-date with software updates.

You can also use Activity Monitor to see what applications are using significant energy that could cause your Mac to be hot.

View energy consumption in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

If the issues persist, you might need to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) that controls the fans in your Mac. This only applies to Macs with Intel processors. How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 15, 2021 8:27 AM in response to bumbleben0

Thanks for your reply.

I am little bit worrried because I did not do, or use macair for such a long time and also I dont spend whole day - every day on comp and its already making problems.

I will try to reset (how often can I reset it? each time its start making noise?) it because even when I just surf online is making huge noise. Dont you think that is little bit weird, since it suppouse to be such a good computer and is very expencive as well. Should I maybe just take it into shop for check up?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Nov 15, 2021 11:02 AM in response to meme1712

What browser are you using on your Mac? Different browsers use different engines, and some engines, such as the one used by Google Chrome are less efficient than Safari, which could cause your Mac to run hotter than expected.

Resetting the SMC will only recalibrate your cooling system. If your fans are seemingly spinning for no reason, it's worth resetting. If your Mac is using significant energy from a demanding application, it should be expected that the fans will spin, so resetting the SMC won't actually do anything.

Nov 15, 2021 11:18 AM in response to bumbleben0

Hi again,

I am using Firefox because when I bought macair Safari did not work properly. Netflix was flickering heavily and now with Monterey software I think is fixed. I checked only once to see if it works! Seemengly it was working.

I am unhappy because from beginning this computer is giving me headache. And now I think is too early to be so noisy!

E.G. I am just writing you this message and its already heating up!

Thank you for your thoughts. It is helpful to hear opinion. I will reset it tmrw.

MACBOOK AIR 2020 OVERHEATING

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.