Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A lot of fan noise after Monterey update

I recently updated my MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019) to Monterey (12.3.1) and I'm noticing my fan is going insane mostly when I'm watching YouTube videos or using Twitch. I mostly use the Brave browser for those two websites but I've also tried Chrome after this fan issue and it's still an issue. Any advice how to fix this? Is this possibly a common issue among people who've upgraded to Monterey?

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 10:30 PM

cyclingandeagles Said:

"A lot of fan noise after Monterey update: I recently updated my MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019) to Monterey (12.3.1) and I'm noticing my fan is going insane mostly when I'm watching YouTube videos or using Twitch. I mostly use the Brave browser for those two websites but I've also tried Chrome after this fan issue and it's still an issue. Any advice how to fix this? Is this possibly a common issue among people who've upgraded to Monterey?"

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Fan:

A. Start Here: About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support

B. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

What it could be is the power management settings. Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for or Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Your power adapter may not be being seen promptly by the ports.

C. Restore from a Backup:

If you backed up your Mac prior to updating it then, restore form it. Sometimes, an update can fail due to power issues, or losing connection to Apple's servers. So, know to always back up your Mac prior to making any major changes to it, successfully as au update. In doing so, you with have something to restore store your Mac from from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

D. Reinstalling the macOS:

Another option would be to reinstall the macOS. Perhaps the install was not 100% successful? Sometimes, when major changes are made to your Mac(i.e. update installations), system settings (i.e. for the fan) become manipulated, technically. So, when reinstalling, nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Important: Be certain you back up your Mac prior to the installation, as I mentioned in C.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2022 10:30 PM in response to cyclingandeagles

cyclingandeagles Said:

"A lot of fan noise after Monterey update: I recently updated my MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019) to Monterey (12.3.1) and I'm noticing my fan is going insane mostly when I'm watching YouTube videos or using Twitch. I mostly use the Brave browser for those two websites but I've also tried Chrome after this fan issue and it's still an issue. Any advice how to fix this? Is this possibly a common issue among people who've upgraded to Monterey?"

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Fan:

A. Start Here: About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support

B. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

What it could be is the power management settings. Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for or Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Your power adapter may not be being seen promptly by the ports.

C. Restore from a Backup:

If you backed up your Mac prior to updating it then, restore form it. Sometimes, an update can fail due to power issues, or losing connection to Apple's servers. So, know to always back up your Mac prior to making any major changes to it, successfully as au update. In doing so, you with have something to restore store your Mac from from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

D. Reinstalling the macOS:

Another option would be to reinstall the macOS. Perhaps the install was not 100% successful? Sometimes, when major changes are made to your Mac(i.e. update installations), system settings (i.e. for the fan) become manipulated, technically. So, when reinstalling, nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Important: Be certain you back up your Mac prior to the installation, as I mentioned in C.

A lot of fan noise after Monterey update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.