Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The phone that grew wings

My neighbors phone flew out of her hand while using Google Maps. The display is smashed and flickers but power is still going to it. Should I try hooking it up to my computer? Perhaps I can still get her photos back? The local AT&T store told me her photos are gone for good! :-( PLEASE HELP!

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 9:20 AM

If it's been connected iTunes before and doesn't ask to Trust This Computer then yeah it can be backed up. If it hasn't been backed up before, it's going to need to work and have a working screen.

It may be repairable by Apple or Apple Authorized Service Provider if only the screen assembly is damaged. However, Apple specifically makes everyone coming in sign off that there's always the possibility that their data may be erased for any number of reasons including needing to restore a device to factory settings in order to test it.

If the neighbor really wants a guarantee that the data won't be erased, that's one of the few cases where I'd say it might make sense to get a third party repair. Besides that most will pledge not to erase a device. They'll probably ask for the passcode though, but that could be changed after it's returned.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2019 9:20 AM in response to thewiseguru

If it's been connected iTunes before and doesn't ask to Trust This Computer then yeah it can be backed up. If it hasn't been backed up before, it's going to need to work and have a working screen.

It may be repairable by Apple or Apple Authorized Service Provider if only the screen assembly is damaged. However, Apple specifically makes everyone coming in sign off that there's always the possibility that their data may be erased for any number of reasons including needing to restore a device to factory settings in order to test it.

If the neighbor really wants a guarantee that the data won't be erased, that's one of the few cases where I'd say it might make sense to get a third party repair. Besides that most will pledge not to erase a device. They'll probably ask for the passcode though, but that could be changed after it's returned.

The phone that grew wings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.