Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change format for external drive?

I recently installed a 1 T external drive to my MacBook Pro Mojave , purely for storage of scanned memorabilia of different types, mostly photographs. It is partitioned into six volumes into which I direct scanned images according to choice of personally-chosen category and to date have stored several gigabytes in each of the volumes. I don't know why I chose to format the drive as Mac OS Extended but now, from my research of Apple information material, it seems that APFS would have been preferred, with features not available to me. Do I correctly understand that APFS would give me preferable options as to flexibility of capacity in the various volumes? and can I now change the format to APFS without loss of stored images?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2019 8:43 AM

I would stick with HFS+ Extended (Journaled) as you are just using the drive as a storage device, I don't think APFS offers any advantages really. If at any time you wish to use a Mac with an older OS, from El Capitan back they cannot access drives formatted as APFS.

If you want to go ahead you would need to copy any existing data on the drive over to another, reformat the first drive and then copy back the data originally stored on it.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2019 8:43 AM in response to gavahu

I would stick with HFS+ Extended (Journaled) as you are just using the drive as a storage device, I don't think APFS offers any advantages really. If at any time you wish to use a Mac with an older OS, from El Capitan back they cannot access drives formatted as APFS.

If you want to go ahead you would need to copy any existing data on the drive over to another, reformat the first drive and then copy back the data originally stored on it.

Aug 16, 2019 1:13 PM in response to gavahu

You might be able to Convert from Disk Utility, but I'm not certain.

The only flexibility I can imagine is the ability to make fake partitions (Volumes), that all share the same storage capacity of the container they are in. Since the drive is partitioned, I don't think you would get a single container with six Volumes. I think you would get six Containers. Essentially what you have already.

If you wan't the features of disk quotas, you must create those with the Volume. You cannot change them after the fact. If you converted the drive into APFS, you wouldn't have that ability.

Aug 16, 2019 3:26 PM in response to Barney-15E

After review again of written material on Disk Utility it has become apparent that I should have used APFS up front. Contrary to MacOS Ext'd, that format enables creation of flexible size volumes, with storage space allotted as needed as you store images into the various volumes. It seems clear that the system can be converted but the user is warned to back up the data before beginning. I have a [different] external on TimeMachine and a couple thousand photos in iCloud but other than those I do not know how how I would back up the existing data on my storage external. Ideas?

Change format for external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.