Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I suddenly unable to write in my existing files in Pages please?

Why am I suddenly unable to write in my existing files in Pages please? I’ve rebooted my iPad.

Posted on Aug 17, 2019 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 4:29 PM

Hi, thank you for your help. I’ve just this minute solved it! I was inspired to go to the App Store and see what was happening there with Pages and it had been “off loaded,” even though it in use several times a day. So I clicked on the cloud icon and then on “open” and hey presto, full service was resumed! Phew!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2019 4:29 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Hi, thank you for your help. I’ve just this minute solved it! I was inspired to go to the App Store and see what was happening there with Pages and it had been “off loaded,” even though it in use several times a day. So I clicked on the cloud icon and then on “open” and hey presto, full service was resumed! Phew!

Aug 18, 2019 1:41 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Ah yes, I wrote write instead of type. My thumbnails have switched to the other side of the page and I can’t get them back to where I’d like them to be. When I tap on the file I want to write in (existing file and have tried several others), it becomes slightly bigger, hiding the top bar where it says “done” and when I tap again, the “done” returns and it’s slightly smaller again. It’s as if I have locked every file. Also on the file name it has added “no 19 of 147,” numbered all of the files. This hasn’t ever been there before. I tried copying and pasting, but the little cross that allows me to add a blank page is no longer there, so I am unable to do that either. Thank you for your help.

Aug 18, 2019 3:40 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Ah yes, I wrote write instead of type. My thumbnails have switched to the other side of the page and I can’t get them back to where I’d like them to be. When I tap on the file I want to write in (existing file and have tried several others), it becomes slightly bigger, hiding the top bar where it says “done” and when I tap again, the “done” returns and it’s slightly smaller again. It’s as if I have locked every file. Also on the file name it has added “no 19 of 147,” numbered all of the files. This hasn’t ever been there before. I tried copying and pasting, but the little cross that allows me to add a blank page is no longer there, so I am unable to do that either. Thank you for your help

Why am I suddenly unable to write in my existing files in Pages please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.