Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing old (erased) device from screen time. Any progress?

There's a longstanding bug with screen time for managed users -- once a device is associated in screen time with an Apple ID that association remains even if device is erased, removed from iCloud, etc. It's possible the dev associated a persistent device ID with Screen Time settings rather than the combination of Apple ID AND device ID.

There have been several threads on this over the since iOS 12 came out. No resolution. All closed now.

Anyone know of any progress? I'm afraid this bug will persist.

(See also: https://tech.kateva.org/2019/05/screen-time-old-device-bug-dev-used.html)

Posted on Aug 17, 2019 11:24 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 17, 2019 12:55 PM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you, it's an old experience that I first posted about several months ago, but it still persists.

All devices are running iOS 12.4.

In this case the Screen Time manager device is my iPhone 8. The old/erased device is an iPhone 6s that used to belong to my daughter. I now use it as a test device for a book project. The name of the old device appears in the device list for my daughter along with her current iOS 12.4 XR. It also appears in my list of managed devices (since I test with it). In both cases it appears with its current name (About:name).

To view my daughter's screen time I need to specify her new device, the default across-all-device report won't render (probably since the device appears in two places).

This is unchanged from behavior in prior posts by myself and others since release of iOS 12.

I'm mostly curious if any fix has emerged. I've not found any in my research, just posts about the old unsolved problem.

Removing old (erased) device from screen time. Any progress?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.