Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Certain keys are not working, how do I fix/clean?

So after a couple weeks of an intense gaming session, I found that my wasd keys on my Macbook Pro stopped working properly. Sometimes they seemed to work fine, sometimes they worked if I pressed hard enough or at the right angle (after several attempts), and sometimes they wouldn't work outright for several minutes.

I tried using compressed air and taking the key caps off to manually remove bits of dirt and cat fur I found, and they would work for a few hours, but then the keys would go back to not working properly.

Did I press down on those keys too hard? Did the heat of my laptop from gaming mess up the circuits? Is there dirt stuck right between the internal rubber button and censor, and how do I clean between there? Did something cause the electronic signal of the key to weaken?

Please give me advice on how to fix, college starts in a couple weeks for me, and lugging around a spare keyboard will just be cumbersome. I'm also worried that I'll end up breaking my keys by taking them off too much.

I am on a MacbookPro10,1; early 2013 model

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 17, 2019 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 6:14 AM

The other wildcard is spilled liquid of any kind on the keyboard, especially if it is acidic (e.g. coffee, soft drink, cat urine, etc.). I suggest that you make an appointment with your local Apple Store, or Apple Authorized Service Provider and have them evaluate if the problem requires a new keyboard.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2019 6:14 AM in response to RhiannonSmuge

The other wildcard is spilled liquid of any kind on the keyboard, especially if it is acidic (e.g. coffee, soft drink, cat urine, etc.). I suggest that you make an appointment with your local Apple Store, or Apple Authorized Service Provider and have them evaluate if the problem requires a new keyboard.

Certain keys are not working, how do I fix/clean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.