Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Windows 10 next to Mojave on MB Pro Mid 2012 via BootCamp.

Hi,

my MB is listed as supported for such "mission" here.

I followed BC instructions to create bootable WIN10 installation and to partition the drive. After rebooting to start the installation i am prompted with Windows and USB EFI icons. Selecting Windows enters infinitely long black screen. Selecting USB enters Windows installation until formatting part where its not letting me further with the message :

"The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"

I read multiple texts where it says if i dont follow this route i ll encounter audio problems (which is bad cause i need it). Now the question is, i am being good citizen by following precisely whats described in the link above, but cant move pass the Windows installation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Uros

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 1:45 PM

You can use either a DVD+USB2 (for drivers) or USB2 Flash drive for both. If you use a USB3 Flash drive, it will not work.

Can you verify that you are using a USB2 Flash drive (speeds of 480 Mbps or less), instead of a 5Gbps flash drive?

USB drives, other than Flash drives, will cause many other issues.

Similar questions

10 replies

Aug 18, 2019 2:21 PM in response to urosfromalmere

urosfromalmere wrote:

Thanks again for instant help. Wow, it's getting more and more interesting - it is indeed USB3 Flash drive. So it was Murphy law that made me pick this one for W10 out of bunch laying on my desk. So to conclude, if i now follow instructions from official apple page and use USB2 flash drive, things should go as planned more or less?

These are the instructions, just to make sure - Install Windows on your older Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support.

If you have moment and some patience, please share what the version of USB standard has to do with any of this - i'd be grateful.

The USB2/USB3 ports are identical, unlike USBc. There are separate drivers for USB2 and USB3. You may have a device with the same form factor. Unless you have the correct driver, it cannot be read. USB3 drivers are installed after Windows is installed and BC drivers are installed. Windows installer only has USB2 drivers, not USB3. Does this help clear the picture a bit?

I'll go now and create Bootable USB2 drive and give it another run.

Good. 👍

Aug 18, 2019 2:12 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks again for instant help. Wow, it's getting more and more interesting - it is indeed USB3 Flash drive. So it was Murphy law that made me pick this one for W10 out of bunch laying on my desk. So to conclude, if i now follow instructions from official apple page and use USB2 flash drive, things should go as planned more or less?

If you have moment and some patience, please share what the version of USB standard has to do with any of this - i'd be grateful.

I'll go now and create Bootable USB2 drive and give it another run.

Installing Windows 10 next to Mojave on MB Pro Mid 2012 via BootCamp.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.