Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fusion Drive Upgrade

Here recently I began having issues with my machine, basically crashing (iMac late 2013, 1TB fusion drive, running latest version of Mojave). After a while it began getting stuck on the Apple logo while booting and it eventually went into internet recovery mode.

It got to to the point where I was just going to erase the fusion drive and reinstall macOS and restore from a Time Machine backup. While in internet recovery mode I used disk utility and it gave me an error to “fix” my fusion drive. After running the utility I now only have the 120GB SSD portion of the drive showing. It appears the 1TB portion is gone and no longer operable.

My my plan is to just upgrade that fusion drive with a SSD drive. My question is do I need to do anything in terminal to disable the fusion drive prior to upgrading since I will not be putting the same type of drive back in? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 6:23 AM

No. If you are doing away with the Fusion Drive, there is nothing you need to do.

Similar questions

3 replies

Fusion Drive Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.