Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My screen flickers and enlarges image.

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 2006 24” iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

I know it’s old So problems will occur.

Sometimes the screen with flicker and distorts the image. If a web window is not opened to the dispatch open say, youtube. Only that window flickers but the entire screen will do it as well.

Sometimes starts up onto blue screen with mouse icon a 1 inch squared checkered black square.

Have to press power button to restart.

Apple hardware test will not start up even with Ethernet.

I have wiped HDD, reinstallation OSX (by sharing install dvd as disc drive spots out any disc)

Checked and repaired permissions (All good) reset NVRAM and PRAM.

Is this the video card ?

Thanks.

J.

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 4:03 PM

Sure if you can find one but spending $50 on $10 machine still leave you with a $10 machine. I'm just using those numbers to illustrate the futility of wanting to spend money on it. I have no idea what the cost of a GPU (assuming you can find one) is and what an almost 15 year old iMac is worth.

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 19, 2019 3:50 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I can replace that on this model can’t I? I think I read about overheating issues with this model. Would that be correct?

I’ve had it in pieces already to change hard drive and replace broken screen. (Thanks Hermes!)

Its sitting here half naked but been running fine for last three/four hours.

The pattern does change and cover the entire screen. Just realised I posted same photo twice. Here’s another couple.

Have to say the 2nd/3rd are pretty cool! Less so if I need to spent money on it!

So, GPU then, and is it worthwhile me doing it for a machine that cost me £25. (For new screen)

I have a 20” as well but that’s another story.

Any ideas about start up issues?

Got blue screen with square icon.

Then got white screen with two mouse icons. One fixed in place and other okay but nothing to select!

Then third time lucky. And it’s been great.

Thanks.

Aug 20, 2019 10:17 AM in response to James Phoenix

I managed to boot up with usb drive in recovery.

The internal startup drive is nowhere to be seen.

Not through System Preferences or Disk Utility.

With the flashy folder I was getting 5 sets of 3 tones every few minutes. Cant see what that means anywhere. I guess it’s for no drive.

In recovery mode from my Lion usb boot it shows the drive as:

Disk-Media

Connection Bus-SATA

Total Capacity-0

Partition Map-Unformatted.

Is this the culprit of my display issues as well or is that still the gpu?

I tested, erased, installed 10.6.8 and tested HDD just the other day and it came back ‘everything looks okay’.

Its headed for the recycling pile I think.......

My screen flickers and enlarges image.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.