Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to save an audio file on external storage

I recorded a phone interview with a client that I then uploaded to FCPX. I've spent hours cleaning up this audio and doing necessary edits and want to save these edits by creating a duplicate audio file that I can store on my external hard drive but have no idea how to quickly and easily do this. Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 10:40 AM

15 replies

Aug 19, 2019 6:21 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom, that certainly helped...thank you. I was able to "Share" this file with my desktop and then I was going to drag it from the desktop into my connected external hard drive. But when I listened to this shared audio portion that is on my desktop, it was not the edited version that I spent hours and hours working on in the timeline but the imported, unedited version I initially uploaded into FCPX. How do I "share" just the edited version I worked on in the Timeline and not the raw file I imported into FXPX? Thanks for your help; I have definitely made some major progress.

Aug 19, 2019 6:57 PM in response to Roy Spears

It doesn't look as if you created a project. Scrolling up the the browser (All Clips) and look to see if there's a project at the top of the list. What's open in the timeline is something that looks like maybe Desert Botanical Garden Consultation 8-15-2019. Is that the name of the project? Maybe you made the edits inside a clip. Try exporting the clip,

Aug 20, 2019 10:16 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom, that did it! Thank you so much. I was able to copy the edited audio tracks that I spent hours and hours on to my external hard drive where at least, in case of a FCPX disaster, I can have a backup of all the editing that I did on this particular project. In fact, this has solved a mystery that I have had to deal with for years with FCPX: how to take projects from FCPX and make a backup file on my external hard drives. Thanks again!

How to save an audio file on external storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.