Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

items in desktop not showing

Hello,

beginning 3 days ago, anything I save on my desktop does not show, even thought it is there. If I open a finder window still doesn't show, but If I write an email and click on attachment, I am able to attach the "hidden" document.

How do I make them all be visible. Important, documents saved to desktop prior to the problem starting are still visible. Also, thinking that is had anything to do with it, I disable "home" syncing on iCloud, then enable it again. It may no difference either way.

Thx

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 2:44 PM

6 replies

Aug 21, 2019 3:04 PM in response to al2012xxx

al2012xxx Said:

Now ALL of the files on desktop are hidden and Finder remains unresponsive

———-

With Finder being Unresponsive...

Contact an AASP in your area, and see if they can remove the drive and recover these files. A SATA-to-USB A adapter would most likely be used.

Go Here: Apple Contact Us Info. Then to locate one, scroll down to the following location and use the two links provided in the screenshot below:

Aug 21, 2019 8:47 AM in response to al2012xxx

Since the Finder is now completely stuck, restart the Mac – if necessary (hopefully not) long pressing the power button.

After the restart, check if it works again. If the issue comes back again, try to copy the Finder's preference file com.apple.finder.plist found in your Library/Preferences folder somewhere (as a backup) and delete it from you Library. Relaunch the Finder. A new preference file should be created. Check if all the files (old and new) are shown.

items in desktop not showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.