Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop icons have disappeared

All of my desktop icons have disappeared. I have iCloud enabled and had the Desktop & Documents Folders selected in the settings for iCloud. The problem is that if I click to select that it takes about 1 second saying Setting Up then nothing. I click done, then go back into the iCloud settings and the selection is NOT selected. Nothing that I can do will allow me to keep that selection.

The only thing that changed was I dropped from a 2TB to a 200GB iCloud account, but I have over 100GB free under the 200GB account.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 11:35 PM

I contacted AppleCare Support about the issues that I was having, specifically because I pay for an iCloud account, I figured this had to be the problem. So AppleCare told me to re-install the MacOS, which when I did it killed my iMac, I ended up having to get a copy of the OS from my fathers iMac and get my iMac to re-install the OS, well one problem that I had was none of my shares that I had created on the iMac were accessible from my Windows 10 PC. So I started that Troubleshooting and one thing that it said to do was to turn off file sharing and turn it back on, reboot and lo and behold, that fixed my fileshare problems. I then wanted to see if that did anything for is problem, and when I went back into the iCloud settings and enabled the Desktop and Documents folders to be stored on iCloud, everything started to work again. So from the looks of it, disabling and re-enabling file sharing fixed this iCloud issue.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2020 11:35 PM in response to dan_greer

I contacted AppleCare Support about the issues that I was having, specifically because I pay for an iCloud account, I figured this had to be the problem. So AppleCare told me to re-install the MacOS, which when I did it killed my iMac, I ended up having to get a copy of the OS from my fathers iMac and get my iMac to re-install the OS, well one problem that I had was none of my shares that I had created on the iMac were accessible from my Windows 10 PC. So I started that Troubleshooting and one thing that it said to do was to turn off file sharing and turn it back on, reboot and lo and behold, that fixed my fileshare problems. I then wanted to see if that did anything for is problem, and when I went back into the iCloud settings and enabled the Desktop and Documents folders to be stored on iCloud, everything started to work again. So from the looks of it, disabling and re-enabling file sharing fixed this iCloud issue.

Desktop icons have disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.