Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to delete email from iphone not from mail server

how to delete my incoming emails from iPhone ( ios 12.4 ) not from mail server

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 8:11 AM

Most email now uses IMAP which mimics across all of your devices including your email server. For example, if you read the email on your phone, it will show as read on your PC. If you delete an email on your PC, it will delete on your phone and delete from the email server. You'll want to look for an email provider that can be configured with POP3. By using POP3 you each device is independent and you can have the email left on the server. However, just be aware that if you do that, if you delete an email on your phone, it will still be in your inbox on all other devices.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2019 8:11 AM in response to mutlu1966

Most email now uses IMAP which mimics across all of your devices including your email server. For example, if you read the email on your phone, it will show as read on your PC. If you delete an email on your PC, it will delete on your phone and delete from the email server. You'll want to look for an email provider that can be configured with POP3. By using POP3 you each device is independent and you can have the email left on the server. However, just be aware that if you do that, if you delete an email on your phone, it will still be in your inbox on all other devices.

Aug 21, 2019 9:12 AM in response to anypats

thank you for your kind reply. So how am I going to not delete my emails from mail server. my iphone email set up is IMAP. this was done automatically. unfortunately on Imap incoming mail setting there is no option or button " not delete from server". Therefore how can I set up? I don't want to delete my incoming emails on my mail server but I wanna delete completely on my iPhone (IOS 12.4).

Thanks and regards

Aug 21, 2019 9:47 AM in response to mutlu1966

Hopefully soon IMAP will give us a option to not delete emails on mail server.

That will not happen. IMAP is working the way it is designed, so that mail resides on the server, an effort to keep mail together and to be able to access mail on multiple clients. As I said, it seems you shouldn't be using mail on the iPhone if it is causing you that much trouble. You can also consider consolidating your photos using iCloud photos and there is probably music on your phone that you haven't listened to in quite a while, if you have that much it is causing space issues. There are a number of other methods to reduce storage used, but if you are trying to delete mail, then it questions whether mail is necessary on the device.

how to delete email from iphone not from mail server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.