Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Securing unexpanded audio for initial edit

Clips introduced to Timeline have started to appear already Expanded and Refuse to collapse for initial edit assembly. Control S won't help and right click option to Collapse shows up grey. Where have I gone wrong?

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2019 6:24 AM

Didn't think of this before but there is one other thing. Go to the timeline Index and in Roles check that these buttons are not active

That's the only other thing I can think off. I don't know how you could that one by accident. I don't think are default shortcuts for them.

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 23, 2019 8:08 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom. Here are 2 Screen Shots - the lower one shoes the greyed Collapse option when Expanded clip is checked. Trying Control S just produces the 'can't do sound'. And the upper shot shows the original Clip from which the clip was added to Timeline - and presented with Expanded audio - from Browser. I believe I am 'in project' - hope 1st shot helps confirm that.

Project name is MoleWelcome 2.

I'm using a new 10.4.6 FCPX on a MacBook Pro running 10.14.6

Aug 24, 2019 5:22 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for your help chasing this up - 2 more screen shots below. Project is called Computer Group and the name appears both at the top of the browser from where I am drawing the clips and in the centre top of the Timeline. I've been working on this video for about 3 weeks now, adding newly shot material to the compilation as it becomes available. I have shot all this AVCHD on the same camera and when I started on the assembly I was getting Collapsed clips - audio and video - from the imports as I would expect. Only recently have I been immediately presented with Expanded clips as I add them to the Timeline - with no apparent way of Collapsing them, as I would hope to have them for a much simpler initial assembly. If I stretch the video of newly added clips either forwards or backwards the Expanded audio does not stretch with the video - in fact is behaving as I would expect it to if I had chosen to request Expand Audio. I have been imagining that I have recently, inadvertently activated an instruction only to present Expanded clips - and to refuse to allow me to Collapse them via ^S or selecting the option in the Right Click Menu which is now greyed out. It looks as if this is not as simple a request for help as I hoped it would be. I really appreciate your interest and help.

Aug 25, 2019 7:23 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom - I'm afraid I'm still finding my way around the great things that FCPX can do for me - and I must have been the guilty party (somehow?). Clips in Timeline are now appearing complete with video/audio collapsed - and are responding as I'd expect with all options open to me. Big thanks for your patience in pointing me to the solution - will look out for the up dated version of Making the Creative Leap.

Securing unexpanded audio for initial edit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.