Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Sign-in Problems With iCloud on iMac

Two issues, the second one stemming from the first. This is with iCloud on my iMac. No other hardware is affected.

1. Originally, I was getting a message within iCloud in Settings. This message:

So I browsed in here and found that I should sign out and back in to iCloud. Which I worried about since it said I could lose data stored. Backed up everything and signed out.

Now iCloud won't let me sign back in. Instead, I get this new message after correctly entering my Apple ID and Password:

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 6:54 AM

Hi McQ14,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. I see you're unable to sign in to iCloud on your Mac.

To double-check, when you say no other hardware was affected, do you mean you've been able to sign in with the same Apple ID on other devices?

Which macOS version are you using under Apple menu () > About This Mac?

Have you tried clicking Apple menu () > Restart and testing again?

If the issue persists after, you might try booting into safe mode, which would help rule out certain software causes for this type of behavior. Here's how: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Once you test, reply back with the results and the community may be able to assist further.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2019 6:54 AM in response to McQ14

Hi McQ14,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. I see you're unable to sign in to iCloud on your Mac.

To double-check, when you say no other hardware was affected, do you mean you've been able to sign in with the same Apple ID on other devices?

Which macOS version are you using under Apple menu () > About This Mac?

Have you tried clicking Apple menu () > Restart and testing again?

If the issue persists after, you might try booting into safe mode, which would help rule out certain software causes for this type of behavior. Here's how: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Once you test, reply back with the results and the community may be able to assist further.

Take care.

Aug 22, 2019 7:15 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thank you.

I’m on a late 2012 iMac. Haven’t switched to Mojave yet for the OS.

No other hardware - iPad , iPhone - was affected.

I restarted in safe mode, made sure things were booting up ok. Shut down and restarted again and managed, after some time, to log back in to iCloud.

Im not sure why it cropped up in the first place, but when I noticed it the other day I restarted the Mac normally, which didn’t correct the issue. But safe mode seemed to make a difference.

Thank you you for your help. Next time I’ll try rebooting in safe mode first.

Two Sign-in Problems With iCloud on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.