Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Windows 7 new keyboard backlight not working?

Hi all,

I just replaced my keyboard backlight on my mid 2012 Macbook Pro. On the Mac side, the backlight works perfectly, but when I change over to boot camp Windows 7, the backlight either doesn't work at all, or is really dim and can't be adjusted. I know it's connected fine, after checking inside several times. Does anyone know the solution? For some reason I think I need a Windows 7 driver, but I have no idea which one, or how to install it. Please help!

Thanks,

Ian

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 1:58 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Aug 21, 2019 9:30 PM in response to Loner T

Are these the instructions I need to do for a SMC reset?

If the battery is nonremovable:

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down and wait for your Mac to shut down.
  2. Press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds. If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.
  3. Release all keys.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

Could you confirm if this is what is needed?

Thank you,

Ian

Aug 21, 2019 8:52 PM in response to Loner T

Hi again Loner T,

Thank you for getting back to me! Yes, it worked fine prior to my repair. My battery is removable, in my 2012 macbook pro, so would I use the instructions on Apple to remove the battery before a SMC reset? I'm just confused, because in the article here on Apple, it says non- removable batteries are on Macbook Pros 2009 and later. But on mine the battery is removeable. Would I use the instructions to remove my battery first?

Thank you,

Ian

Aug 22, 2019 5:36 AM in response to IanP1978

IanP1978 wrote:

1. Are these the instructions I need to do for a SMC reset?

If the battery is nonremovable:
Choose Apple menu > Shut Down and wait for your Mac to shut down.
2. Press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds. If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.
3. Release all keys.
4. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

Could you confirm if this is what is needed?

Yes. These are the correct steps.

Boot Camp Windows 7 new keyboard backlight not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.