Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos didn’t transfer through iCloud

So for a while my camera roll on my iPhone 6s Plus continued getting larger while I kept getting the “iCloud is full” message. I now have the 50gb iCloud and I just got a new iPhone XR. It seems through the iCloud backup transfer that all photos that were added to my phone after I first filled up my iCloud storage, did not transfer to my new iPhone. They are still on my old iPhone but they don’t seem to get added to the backup. I just want the 300 or so photos added to my new iPhone, any advice? Thank you.

iPhone XR

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 5:47 PM

3 replies

Aug 22, 2019 11:21 AM in response to Yoloson

Hello Yoloson,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that not all of the photos on your iPhone 6s Plus appear on your new iPhone XR after it was restored from an iCloud backup. I would be happy to help provide steps to take next.

Do you have iCloud Photos enabled on the iPhone 6s Plus? Here's how you can check to see if that's turned on:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If iCloud Photos is enabled, the photos are uploaded to iCloud and will not be contained in your backup. I suggest checking that the new iCloud storage plan is reflected on the iPhone 6s Plus, the iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi (if it does not have an active cellular data plan), and that the battery is charged. This will help ensure that your photos are uploading to iCloud from that iPhone. You can also go to Settings > Photos, then check if it shows the upload status. Once they have uploaded to iCloud, the photos and videos from that iPhone will automatically sync to the iPhone XR provided the same conditions are met.

If you don't use iCloud Photos, then the photos will be contained in your iCloud backup. You may need to create a new backup on the iPhone 6s Plus, then restore the iPhone XR from the new backup to see if all of the photos appear. This would erase any new data saved to the iPhone XR:

Keep us posted on the results.

Cheers!

Aug 22, 2019 6:19 PM in response to Yoloson

Hi Yoloson,

Thanks for providing the additional information. Do you have access to a computer that you can use sign in to the https://www.icloud.com/#photos website from? If so, then that would allow you to compare the number of photos and videos that have actually been uploaded to iCloud to the number you're seeing on both devices.

You may also want to see if My Photo Stream is enabled on the iPhone 6s Plus as it will remove any photos older than 30 days from iCloud, preventing those from syncing to the iPhone XR:

Get help with My Photo Stream - Apple Support

Another step would be to take a new photo on your iPhone 6s Plus, then see if it automatically appears on your iPhone XR. If you know of specific photos or albums that are missing on the iPhone XR, do those appear in the All Photos album on the iPhone 6s Plus, or a different album?

Take care.

Aug 22, 2019 5:22 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Thank you for taking the time to answer, unfortunately I’ve done every step you’ve said and still no positive results. iCloud photos has been on both phones, and I’ve attempted restoring the new XR twice from the most recent backup on the 6s Plus, which was about an hour before I purchased the XR. It was first restored from backup in the T-Mobile store, and than once again last night after I did some research in hope of fixing the problem. For an exact example if I open the Photos app on my iPhone 6s, I have 1378 Photos and 92 Videos. On my XR even after a fresh backup restore, I have 1110 photos and 77 videos and quite a few less albums. I just can’t seem to figure it out why these two or three hundred photos from my camera roll refuse to transfer on to my new phone.

Photos didn’t transfer through iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.