Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine backup

Hi,

I've backed my computer and external hard drive (where my Photos Library resides) to a new TimeMachine drive, but when I try to open my Photos from the TimeMachine directly I get this message:

The library opens fine on its original hard drive. Is this normal? I just want to make sure I have enough backups of my very precious photos.

Thank you!

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 3:41 PM

Yes, it is normal. You cannot open Photos from Time Machine. You need to restore the Photos library and then you can open the restored library. If you don't want to overwrite your existing Photos library, restore the library to a different location, such as an external drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

--Rich

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2019 3:41 PM in response to Sharon Wesoky

Yes, it is normal. You cannot open Photos from Time Machine. You need to restore the Photos library and then you can open the restored library. If you don't want to overwrite your existing Photos library, restore the library to a different location, such as an external drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

--Rich

Aug 22, 2019 3:07 PM in response to Sharon Wesoky

Hello!

From my understanding, you are trying to open your library of photos that is backed up to a external drive via time machine. I am not 100% sure but, I think you will always run into problem trying to do this as it is a backup and not the original source. If your computer hard drive crashed and you restored this backup you should have no problems opening and restoring the library.

If you want another backup source I would recommend you check out google photos. They offer unlimited storage space for all your photos and videos for free.

Let me know if this information helps or if you have further questions!

TimeMachine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.