Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing photos in dropbox to free up space on iPhone

If I delete photos from my iPhone that I have uploaded to Dropbox, will they still be available in Dropbox. I have read several threads, some of them say they will, some of them say that If I delete photos (from any device) they will be deleted from Dropbox (or any other cloud based programme). I want to be able to auto upload photos, then delete them from my phone, then when I have time I can organise them into folders/delete any I really don't want to keep when I log into dropbox on my laptop. Hope that makes sense! Thanks in anticipation.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 4:20 PM

In the Dropbox app, if you enable Camera Uploads, that sends photos that you take to both your iPhone Photos and to Dropbox. These are then two separate locations that are not linked -- you can delete a photo from your iPhone's Photos app (not the Dropbox app) and the photos will remain in Dropbox. You can delete a photo from Dropbox and the photo would remain in your iPhone's Photos app. These are separate and unlinked storage locations.

I think what you were hearing is that if you delete from Dropbox on one device, that deletes the item on all other devices linked to your Dropbox -- that is true. But you'd be deleting from your Photos app, not Dropbox.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2019 4:20 PM in response to ShonalL04

In the Dropbox app, if you enable Camera Uploads, that sends photos that you take to both your iPhone Photos and to Dropbox. These are then two separate locations that are not linked -- you can delete a photo from your iPhone's Photos app (not the Dropbox app) and the photos will remain in Dropbox. You can delete a photo from Dropbox and the photo would remain in your iPhone's Photos app. These are separate and unlinked storage locations.

I think what you were hearing is that if you delete from Dropbox on one device, that deletes the item on all other devices linked to your Dropbox -- that is true. But you'd be deleting from your Photos app, not Dropbox.

Aug 23, 2019 3:52 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for this, so if I select the photos to upload, then upload them to a folder I set up in DB using the method you describe (rather than using their App), then it won't matter if I delete them from my photos folder on my phone or mac, as they should be stored in DB permanently? I have a ton of storage on DB still unused so it would make sense to put them into DB.

Sorry to ask again, but just want to double check before I hit the delete button !

Storing photos in dropbox to free up space on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.