Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bounces sound different than session. Please help!

I'm mixing a dance song right now and to be honest I don't really know if I'm doing it right. I'm kind of just winging it and things ended up well so far but now I'm hitting some roadblocks. I'm trying to mix it in the best quality possible so I decided to to send most of the tracks to surround sound which I like. It sounds great in session, and then I proceed to use surround bounce.

Problem is, every time I hear the bounce version it sounds completely different to how I mixed it in session. The basses and some other instruments are at a completely different volume and it sounds out of wack.

If anyone knows how I can solve this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 12:08 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Aug 23, 2019 2:17 PM in response to remyprosper912

A few thoughts...

If you're planning to commercialize your music, surround sound is going to be a very hard format to sell (unless you're working on a movie project). I too am a fan of surround, but pretty much gave it up years ago as the disc burning options were iffy, and it really costs a lot more in monitors (assuming you're using reasonable monitors).

How are you listening back to the surround files - just loading them back into Logic?

I'm guessing you do check the 'Surround Bounce' box (when doing a CMD+B)... do you have the file extensions and channels all setup properly in PREFERENCES-AUDIO-I/O ASSIGNMENTS?

Aug 23, 2019 3:32 PM in response to Pete_in_FL

Oh wow I didn't know that it would be harder to sell. I just thought that it would be best so that each instrument track will be played most clearly and not clutter, because there are lots of tracks. To be completely honest, the only thing I understood about the last part you mentioned was checking off the surround sound box.

In the I/o assignments I check off show as 5.1 ITU 775. I do plan on commercializing this song among others in an album, do you suggest I abandon bouncing it in surround?

Aug 24, 2019 1:35 AM in response to remyprosper912

To further clarify - to work in surround, you need more than two speakers, usually six, two front left and right, two rear left and right, one center and one subwoofer. And an interface with as many outputs to feed these speakers. Then you can place and pan audio sources inside this field. The mastering mixbus needs as many channels, the distribution format (physical or digital) needs as many channels and the music listener needs as many channels, complete with properly positioned loudspeakers. This realistically leaves very few options to get your music heard as it was intended.

Bounces sound different than session. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.