Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bounce either too quiet or crackles

So, for context, here's the Logic file via Google Drive, if anyone wants to see: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qdq4N0z1Vpq32jjYVUXaFBLodLQlqthZ/view?usp=sharing

I'm fairly new to all this, so terminologies and jargon might be a bit lost on me. In essence, I'm trying to create a loud and triumphant cinematic piece. Many tracks, orchestral, quite loud most of the way through. This is the first time I've made a song with this many tracks and instruments, but if I take too many away then the piece starts to lose its fullness and 'oomph'.

Whenever I play it back in Logic, it sounds fine. It sounded fine even before I tried adding compressors to every track and creating a slow decrease in volume in the master output, to see if that would help balance out the volume as the track gets louder throughout. My CPU seems fine. Adding an adaptive limiter to the master output makes it noticeably crackly during in-app playback, albeit not as crackly as the 2nd thing below:

Whenever I try to bounce the hecking thing, one of two things happen:

1) It's far too quiet when I normalise or "overload protect only".

2) When I turn normalise off, it's certainly loud enough, but very crackly and gainy.

I have no idea why Logic isn't simply able to take what I hear during in-app playback and put it into MP3 and WAV form, but it's not, and I don't know what's wrong.

Help pls.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 3:47 AM

Check this thread out (there are loads - its a common user issue) EricSimon does a great job with some v useful pointers. Short answer is effective gain staging and experience!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8582343

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 7, 2020 5:08 AM in response to Caitybeldy

The link laamusic points to is a wonderful resource.

I opened your song "Chronicles of the Brave". And there is something obvious and simple. The individual tracks are already way too loud, they are clipping. Just imagine, you have have a bunch of single tracks which are too loud, what will happen if you sum them together?

Yes, the result will be ... hyper-mega-super-extreme loud.

The solution is quite simple,

1. bypass all the plugins on the master track,

2. select all single tracks and reduce the volume until the sum doesn't clip anymore.

3. Now you can put some plugins onto the sum track back again.

In general, use only plugins you understand.

Unfortunately, in your finished song step 2 is not that easy it could be, because you are using volume automation. Just a tip for the future, use the gain plugin instead, so you can change the volume with the fader despite automation.

Bounce either too quiet or crackles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.