Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Low Level Noise in Logic X

I'm trying to remove low level noise from a track in logic X. I've experimented quite a bit but remain baffled. Here's the scenario:

the project has a single live guitar track, output directly to the Stereo bus. No sends/busses.

there are no plugins in the project, other than Noise Gate and Soundsoap

with the plugins switched off (and when removed), noise is present before, during and after the note.

with soundsoap turned on, the noise is reduced but is not reduced to zero....so still remains present before, during and after the note.

When noise gate is added, the noise is removed before and after the note, but, as expected, doesn't remove noise on the note itself.

So I can't seem to be able to trap this persistent noise and remove it, without reducing the track output to zero, which of course means there's no sound at all!

I've tried adding Soundsoap & Noise Gate to the Stereo Bus as well, doesn't make any difference.

the noise is not present if Logic is not playing

the guitar is a Fender Precision Bass, played through an Apogee Duet into the Mac/Logic. I get similar noise issues with direct input recordings from other guitars (e.g. Strat)

So I'm baffled as to where exactly this noise is coming from and how to remove it?? Any help appreciated.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 11:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 5:26 AM

Many thanks, ground loop noise was indeed the problem behind the constant hum.

I solved it by plugging my speakers, controller and interface into the SAME extension cable plug board.

All my kit uses the same electricity source (a single plug socket in the wall) which is recommended to help avoid ground loop noise problems, but was not enough to stop the noise in my case. I use several extension cable plug boards, and had my speakers plugged into one plug board, and my interface and controller plugged into another plug board. When I plugged them ALL into the SAME board, the background noise stopped immediately!!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 5:26 AM in response to Radarhus

Many thanks, ground loop noise was indeed the problem behind the constant hum.

I solved it by plugging my speakers, controller and interface into the SAME extension cable plug board.

All my kit uses the same electricity source (a single plug socket in the wall) which is recommended to help avoid ground loop noise problems, but was not enough to stop the noise in my case. I use several extension cable plug boards, and had my speakers plugged into one plug board, and my interface and controller plugged into another plug board. When I plugged them ALL into the SAME board, the background noise stopped immediately!!

Low Level Noise in Logic X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.