Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Odd MIDI Recording Bug

I suspect this issue is unique to my setup, since I haven't seen any analogous reports, but here goes:

I recently purchased an Akai MPK249, which is a pretty nice keyboard controller. I've recorded numerous MIDI regions with it without difficulty. But lately, I've noticed this rather bizarre dysfunction where Logic simply will not record MIDI data that it's clearly receiving, since the software instrument being controlled is clearly producing audio.

As a guitarist/bassist, I don't often record MIDI note data, but in my experience, when you're recording MIDI note data, Logic doesn't start creating a region until it receives the first note-on information. But now, that's not what's happening. In fact, with the metronome set to do a one-bar pre-roll, Logic starts creating the region in the preroll.

But, even worse, it often (but not always) doesn't actually record the MIDI note data. Obviously it's receiving the data, because the software instrument on that track is producing output. (I don't think the problem is related to any particular software instrument since I've been able to reproduce it using Logic's native instruments, drum kits, and sample libraries contained in Native Instruments' Kontakt sample player.) And sometimes it will record the note data. It seems that it more reliably records the data if I start recording at the beginning of the project, but it frequently fails even under those conditions.

Also: I can hand-enter MIDI note data in the piano roll interface without issue.

So: Logic is clearly receiving MIDI data, because it's producing output. It's definitely in record mode—the control strip changes color to red, the record button is active, the track in question is record-enabled, and indeed a MIDI region is being created. Just no note data. Sometimes. I'd say roughly 40% of the time no note data is recorded. Sometimes I'll record MIDI data successfully three times in a row, and then without changing anything it will fail three or four times in a row. And then go back to working, without my changing anything other than the playhead position.

Frustrating if you have to have done a decent performance, just to discover it wasn't recorded.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? (I'm guessing not.) Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it?

iMac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 5:58 PM

Looks like it might have been Axe-Edit. Hard to say absolutely for sure because this is an intermittent issue that doesn't always crop up, but at a minimum "pausing" Axe-Edit (which prevents a lot of MIDI traffic between it and the Axe-FX) seems to have at least made it a lot less likely that Logic won't record incoming MIDI note data. Weird, because it didn't look like a ton of Sys-Ex traffic, but after pausing Axe-Edit I couldn't reproduce the problem.

And just to test my hypothesis, I turned Axe-Edit back on (i.e., "unpaused" it), and the problem immediately resurfaced. So, that seems pretty conclusive.

Fortunately, it's unlikely I would ever need Axe-Edit to be communicating with my Axe-FX while recording software instruments, so it's a reasonable workaround, if it continues to work.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2020 5:58 PM in response to ericmurphysf

Looks like it might have been Axe-Edit. Hard to say absolutely for sure because this is an intermittent issue that doesn't always crop up, but at a minimum "pausing" Axe-Edit (which prevents a lot of MIDI traffic between it and the Axe-FX) seems to have at least made it a lot less likely that Logic won't record incoming MIDI note data. Weird, because it didn't look like a ton of Sys-Ex traffic, but after pausing Axe-Edit I couldn't reproduce the problem.

And just to test my hypothesis, I turned Axe-Edit back on (i.e., "unpaused" it), and the problem immediately resurfaced. So, that seems pretty conclusive.

Fortunately, it's unlikely I would ever need Axe-Edit to be communicating with my Axe-FX while recording software instruments, so it's a reasonable workaround, if it continues to work.

Jun 29, 2020 10:58 AM in response to ericmurphysf

I usually suspect Logic's Control Surface settings with odd behavior such as this. The control surface can send MIDI data. Let Logic's start recording during the count-in, play a little. Stop the recording and use the List Editor to see what's on the track. See what's causing Logic to start recording during the count in.

In the upper left Logic Pro X menu scroll to Control Surfaces, you have choices here, Bypass All Control Surfaces, or Rebuild Defaults or you can look in Controller Assignments. Bypass is good for troubleshooting. Also, the keyboard probably came with software, if it was working before, I'm guessing Logic messed with the controller assignments.

Jun 29, 2020 11:14 AM in response to Pancenter

That has occurred to me. One thing that struck me as odd is that Logic doesn't even seem to recognize the MPK249 as a control surface at all, despite the fact that it has transport-control keys on it (which work, if you set Logic to recognize the commands sent from it under "Synchronization: MIDI"). I use my MacBook Pro with an Akai MPK mini-keyboard controller, and that system lists the MPK as a control surface

The MPK doesn't come with any software, other than the usual "lite" versions of DAW apps like Ableton Live. No drivers necessary that I'm aware of.

I'll try rebuilding control surfaces. Logic has always had difficulty dealing with my Behringer X-Touch (X-touch recognizes Logic, but Logic will ignore all the commands sent from the X-Touch until I've power-cycled the X-Touch sometimes two or three times).

Another thing that's occurred to me is that Axe-Edit might be sending a lot of SysEx data to my Axe-FX. I could try pausing Axe-Edit (which turns off communication with the Axe-FX) to see if that improves matters. Another possibility is that I've set the drum pads on the MPK to send on the MIDI common channel. Although it's hard to see how that could be problematic if I'm not actually using the drum pads anyway.

Jun 29, 2020 11:01 PM in response to Pancenter

Yes, the Axe-FX communicates with Axe-Edit via USB. The Axe-FX is connected to my iMac Pro via USB-C, but it's still probably a firehose of data for Logic to parse through. The Ax-Edit manual has this to say:

Axe-Edit relies on intensive two-way communication which can cause audio gaps or stutters while using a connected MIDI foot controller. The PAUSE COMMUNICATIONS feature, available through an icon in the upper left corner or in the Settings menu, puts Axe-Edit on hold so you can test performance without glitches.

I suspect the same is true for a DAW, especially when it's set to listen to MMC Input, which is has to be in order to read transport commands from my MPK. Now that I think of it, I think this particular issue only arose when I told Logic to listen to MMC commands.

Odd MIDI Recording Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.