Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bug when trying to record to an audio track?

Hi, I'm having a very annoying bug when trying to record to an Audio track. I have an External MIDI track set up sending MIDI through a MIDI cable from my soundcard going to my synthesizer. Then I have an Audio track receiving audio through a TRS cable going from my synthesizer to my soundcard. Normal stuff, everything works fine. Except when I go to record on the audio track, the bar at the top flashes red for a fraction of a second, and the time marker moves backwards a little, but then instantly stops itself.

I've tried everything, recreating the audio track, changing settings, resetting i/o devices, reopening Logic, nothing works. Also worth noting, if I try to record on any other kind of track (like a software instrument track) it records perfectly... One more thing, recently I recorded audio to an audio track from a live instrument using the same soundcard and TRS cable, same setup, so maybe it is my synthesizer which is the problem? I don't understand how that could be possible though...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time. I'm on Mojave if it helps.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 3:00 AM

Okay I managed to figure it out! I tried something which really I should have tried from the beginning, I opened up a new Logic project and followed the same procedure, and this time it records fine. Tried again in my main one and have the same bug. Maybe it's some kind of CPU overload? My project is reasonably large, 42 tracks in the whole thing (mixture of software instruments and mostly audio (bip) tracks) with lots and lots of plugins and automation. The bar at the top says my CPU is only at half capacity though...

So I will have to record in a separate project and pass the audio file over to my main one after. Any ideas why this happened? Either way thank you for your time! Have a great day!

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 3:00 AM in response to Iaamusic

Okay I managed to figure it out! I tried something which really I should have tried from the beginning, I opened up a new Logic project and followed the same procedure, and this time it records fine. Tried again in my main one and have the same bug. Maybe it's some kind of CPU overload? My project is reasonably large, 42 tracks in the whole thing (mixture of software instruments and mostly audio (bip) tracks) with lots and lots of plugins and automation. The bar at the top says my CPU is only at half capacity though...

So I will have to record in a separate project and pass the audio file over to my main one after. Any ideas why this happened? Either way thank you for your time! Have a great day!

Aug 14, 2020 1:28 AM in response to Iaamusic

I'm using my soundcard as Logic's i/o device, and I have an External Midi track sending midi to channel 1. From the soundcard, I have the Midi cable going from Midi output to the Synth's Midi input. From the synth I have 1 TRS cable going from R/Mono audio output to audio input 1 of my soundcard. In the External Midi track I am monitoring this audio input from channel 1. Then in a separate Audio track with input from channel 1 I am trying to record. I hear my Synth perfectly when I play it just won't record.

I'm not sure I will try that now quickly

Aug 14, 2020 1:42 AM in response to Iaamusic

When I right click I don't have the option to convert to a midi instrument. What do you mean to right click? I tried the midi file itself, the track, the midi inside the editor, nothing gave me that possibility. Right clicking the midi file I have the options to convert to: new region, new audio file, new sampler track (all greyed out), or convert loops to regions

Bug when trying to record to an audio track?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.