Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI not recording

I'm sure it's something super simple and obvious - to someone, but not to me right now!

I am trying to record some soft synths inside Logic.

I have a MIDI controller that is definitely working, as I can see and hear signal when I play the sound.

When I press record the track looks like it is recording but does not record any notes. When I finish the recording it just leaves a 1 bar empty region.

Whenever I change a MIDI setting in the preferences I seem to be able to record once, but not again.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 4:08 AM

Hi,

Here are a few suggestions:

1) Confirm your MIDI controller channel and make sure Logic is also set to receive that channel on the Track ( Track Inspector : Midi Channel ( All or specific )

2) What settings are you changing in the MIDI Preferences?

3) ( Long one ) There have been lots of issues with legacy MIDI drivers and MIDI 5 pin DIN interfaces with the move to Catalina ( 64bit ) and Big Sur.  Check with your MIDI vendor support and confirm support for Big Sur for your device(s). This is a critical first step since the onus is on the Third party vendor to support Big Sur OSX and many are lagging. I have seen an uptick with Midi Issue with since Logic 10.5 ad here are my observations and tips:

1) Make sure ALL drivers are current and supported (Critical ) 

2) No USB hubs in the data chain to MIDI devices

3) Always start from a cold boot, no wake from sleep

4) No changing of accounts ( logout / login ) 

5) If using a combination of USB and a MIDI multi-port interface leave Port A open on the multi-port.

These steps solved about 99% of my ( and fellow musicians ) MIDI issues.  

Hope this helps

( If this was helpful please mark as such or mark as solved if that is the case ) 

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2021 4:08 AM in response to aussiemc

Hi,

Here are a few suggestions:

1) Confirm your MIDI controller channel and make sure Logic is also set to receive that channel on the Track ( Track Inspector : Midi Channel ( All or specific )

2) What settings are you changing in the MIDI Preferences?

3) ( Long one ) There have been lots of issues with legacy MIDI drivers and MIDI 5 pin DIN interfaces with the move to Catalina ( 64bit ) and Big Sur.  Check with your MIDI vendor support and confirm support for Big Sur for your device(s). This is a critical first step since the onus is on the Third party vendor to support Big Sur OSX and many are lagging. I have seen an uptick with Midi Issue with since Logic 10.5 ad here are my observations and tips:

1) Make sure ALL drivers are current and supported (Critical ) 

2) No USB hubs in the data chain to MIDI devices

3) Always start from a cold boot, no wake from sleep

4) No changing of accounts ( logout / login ) 

5) If using a combination of USB and a MIDI multi-port interface leave Port A open on the multi-port.

These steps solved about 99% of my ( and fellow musicians ) MIDI issues.  

Hope this helps

( If this was helpful please mark as such or mark as solved if that is the case ) 

MIDI not recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.