Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic records spurious MIDI onto audio tracks

After upgrading to Logic 10.7 (because my trial of 10.6.3 ran out), I can't record audio tracks anymore, because whenever I do, Logic also creates spurious MIDI regions in other tracks (audio tracks). Is there a fix or workaround to this?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 5:39 AM

I wouldn't go that far just yet, that seldom helps and will only create more headaches. There's plenty more things to try..

Open MIDI-Audio Setup in Utilities, open the MIDI window. See if there is something showing that could be acting as a MIDI input device.. Are you, or have you been using Logic remote on an iPhone or iPad? Have you had MIDI devices attached before the Logic upgrade? Obviously this is a singular problem related to your system.

Any Previous MIDI devices that may have used or installed third party drivers?

Post a screenshot of the MIDI regions. Move one of the MIDI regions to an External MIDI track, then open a List editor and see what kind of MIDI data is being recorded.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2021 5:39 AM in response to bmajoros

I wouldn't go that far just yet, that seldom helps and will only create more headaches. There's plenty more things to try..

Open MIDI-Audio Setup in Utilities, open the MIDI window. See if there is something showing that could be acting as a MIDI input device.. Are you, or have you been using Logic remote on an iPhone or iPad? Have you had MIDI devices attached before the Logic upgrade? Obviously this is a singular problem related to your system.

Any Previous MIDI devices that may have used or installed third party drivers?

Post a screenshot of the MIDI regions. Move one of the MIDI regions to an External MIDI track, then open a List editor and see what kind of MIDI data is being recorded.

Nov 9, 2021 2:46 AM in response to Pancenter

Thanks. Unfortunately, that didn't help. Even if I create a new project from scratch, when I record audio it creates new MIDI regions in other tracks seemingly at random, and if those MIDI regions get long enough, Logic deletes the audio at that spot. I don't have any MIDI devices attached, and I've bypassed all control surfaces.

I tried to download an older version (like 10.6.3, which worked fine as a trial version) via the App Store on my old computer, but the latest I can get is 10.4.4 which is glitchy on my Big Sur machine.

Logic is now useless to me. I can't record anything. At this point I have no choice but to switch to another product. I'm looking into Cubase 11 Pro. I would happily pay ten times as much as Logic costs for a product that works. I'd be grateful to hear other suggestions.

Nov 9, 2021 5:39 AM in response to Pancenter

YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!

Yes, I forgot that my Axe Fx III also has a MIDI interface (I don't use it). I did a quick test, turning that off, then back on, then back off again, and the spurious MIDI regions only showed up when I had that enabled. This didn't happen with 10.6.3. I'll need to keep testing to be sure that fixed it, but so far it looks like this may have fixed the problem!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Logic records spurious MIDI onto audio tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.