Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to upgrade to macOS High Sierra 10.13

Dumb question - but I am trying to update from macOS High Sierra 10.12.6 to 10.13 and I can't find 10.13. I can only find subsequent releases, which can't be updated until we first upgrade to 10.13. Could anyone point me towards the right place? Thanks very much.

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 5:24 AM

OK, that one is "late" enough: HighSierra and later can run on that one.

stop and delete the downloaded HighSierra first. Empty the Trash can.

Restart.

Then download High Sierra from here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969

(use this link when your mac can handle more than HS).

107 replies

Oct 1, 2019 10:39 AM in response to ale75---

You can certainly upgrade from Sierra 10.12.6 to High Sierra, look at this screenshot from the Apple Support page,

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

So have you looked and followed the instructions on Section 4 to Get macOS High Sierra, this will allow you to download the full installer which should be about 5.25GBs. Some people report that they only get what is called a stub installer about 19-22MBs, if you get that then double click on it and it should start to download the full installer. Please use a cabled connection to your router as this should provide a more stable connection.

Prior to that make sure there are no disk error reports in Disk Utility> First Aid. Yes again.

Can you share screenshots of what you are seeing and any error messages.

Jan 11, 2020 12:12 PM in response to tommyshowtime

I have the exact same issue. I have Sierra v 10.12.6 and tried upgrading to High Sierra v 10.13.6 but I get the same message saying I need to upgrade to 10.13 first. There is no download available for 10.13 (that I can find). The machine I am using is an iMac model 12,1 and according to documentation on Apple's site https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201634: "Newest compatible operating system: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6". It seems like an endless loop of frustration. Can anyone help?

Feb 28, 2020 10:56 PM in response to roqinman

Yes that is correct there is no High Sierra 10.13, Apple replaces each full installer with the next version, so when High Sierra was updated to 10.13.1 then 10.13 was retired and not available for download. The pattern follows with 10.13.2, 10.13.3 etc etc etc.

High Sierra is still available for download, here, How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

this will down load the full installer, 5.23GBs and will install the latest/ last version 10.13.6.

there is no need for you or anyone else to search for 10.13.

You may have been in the position where you were trying to install updates to High Sierra, these updates require you to be already running an earlier version of High Sierra before they can be installed, thus you get the error message, which says you need 10.13. The error message is very badly worded and therefore causes this confusion.

Mar 11, 2020 5:09 AM in response to yakena5

If you read a bit more than just your post, there is an answer.

EauRouge posted:

"Yes that is correct there is no High Sierra 10.13, Apple replaces each full installer with the next version, so when High Sierra was updated to 10.13.1 then 10.13 was retired and not available for download. The pattern follows with 10.13.2, 10.13.3 etc etc etc.

High Sierra is still available for download, here, How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

this will down load the full installer, 5.23GBs and will install the latest/ last version 10.13.6.

there is no need for you or anyone else to search for 10.13.

You may have been in the position where you were trying to install updates to High Sierra, these updates require you to be already running an earlier version of High Sierra before they can be installed, thus you get the error message, which says you need 10.13. The error message is very badly worded and therefore causes this confusion."

Mar 21, 2020 8:15 PM in response to Lexiepex

This worked last week, but not any more. The link on the Apple Support page, which is now

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12

tries to fire up iTunes when you click on the "Get macOS High Sierra".

iTunes??? Really? I let it go on (had to "Accept" iTunes terms all over again) but then no joy. I was just in good ol' iTunes with an "Item not found" dialog. Sometimes. And in iTunes nothing was downloading except the usual iTunes visual fluff that I don't care about right now. I quit iTunes.

I tried the Apple page again and forced it to use Firefox 74 instead. No joy, just a stalled page Saying "Connecting to the Mac App Store..."

I tried again and forced it to open OS10.12.6''s AppStore 2.2.1 instead. Nope - AppStore wants me to install Catalina, which is a no-go for my 10-year-old iMac.

Conclusion: the Apple support page https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969

now has a bad link to download the High Sierra installer.

I'm going to try an older version of that Apple support page, which I had bookmarked earlier. Will post results shortly (I hope).

Oct 1, 2019 4:03 AM in response to Niel

I did that and everytime there are issues during the installation, so me too I thought that it's because I actually have Sierra 10.12.6. If this is not the problem I don't know what to do, I tried several times, everytime the same issue and I have to restart with cmd-r and use my last backup from time machine.

Oct 3, 2019 10:12 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I installed Sierra not more than 5 days ago, I first tried with High Sierra but with no success, then Sierra. So if there are issues with my HD it should be with the installation of Sierra as well. I will not buy a new HD now because my mac is old, mid 2010, so it's useless to spend money for it now, I will wait to change my mac in the future.

By the way, I just want to make clear that it's not good that I can't install Mojave, environment and pollution are very bad and in it's important to reduce garbage. Technology is one of the worst because something becomes old and you can't use it anymore also if it works. It has been the same with my previous Mac, it was old but still working, but it's hard to use it when you can't upgrade a lot of apps.

Anyway thanks for helping.

Mar 21, 2020 11:05 PM in response to Glenn Schaffer

No joy. My old link happened to be for Sierra, not High Sierra. I will keep looking.

But in any case, it looks (to me) like Apple recently

• screwed up the link in Paragraph 4 of https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969 directing it to iTunes instead of AppStore.

• didn't change that page's "Published Date: October 07, 2019" to reflect that change.

• again hid the ability of a Sierra user to upgrade to High Sierra using the App Store.

I located an installer that I had previously downloaded for High Sierra (v. 13.6.02), but it no longer works, resulting in a dialog box saying "This copy of the Install macOS High Sierra 13.6.02.app application is damaged, and can‘t be used to install macOS." -- after it apparently tried to link to somewhere. I am pretty sure it used to work, and I had saved it just in case I needed a quick local reinstall when I did a fresh High Sierra installation on an external drive through my MacBook Air just last week.

Alternative solution? I searched at support.apple.com/downloads for "high sierra". It does not find any real High Sierra installer, only updaters and security updates. The text in the updater links refer the user to the AppStore to obtain the base High Sierra upgrade. Of course, that's where we all started before. Fail.

Frustration continues to reign. I left my dissatisfied comments for Apple on the subject page. I wonder if they will read them.

Oct 3, 2019 5:41 AM in response to Eau Rouge

As I wrote there are the other pages before installation, as usual, accepting the terms and conditions then choosing a destination. I am sorry, it seems that you don't have a solution for this problem. I have to say that I can't use a cabled connection, but I don't think that this is the problem because I installed Sierra without issues, the first time. The installation of High Sierra always stops in the same moment, 31 minutes to the end of installation. And I did it 3 or 4 times always with same result.

how to upgrade to macOS High Sierra 10.13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.