Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone says the storage is full and I’m unable to take any picture or download apps

I have an iPhone 6S that holds 120GB of storage. Currently, only 30GB have been taken up on my phone, but my

phone says the storage is full and I’m unable to take any picture or download apps. Does anyone know how to fix this? I paid for the 120GB so I want to be able to use it. Thanks Iin advance

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s

Posted on Aug 24, 2019 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2019 6:37 PM

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

iOS monitors the storage on your device by analyzing how much space each app uses. You can also check the storage on your device in Settings or in iTunes.

How iOS optimizes storage

If your device is low on storage, iOS automatically frees up space while installing an app, updating iOS, downloading music, recording videos, and more.

To make more storage available, iOS can remove some of your items, like streamed music and videos, files in iCloud Drive, and parts of apps that aren't needed. It also removes temporary files and clears the cache on your device. iOS only removes items that can be downloaded again or that aren't needed anymore.

If your device is almost full and iOS can't free up space on your device, you might get a Storage Almost Full alert. If you see this alert, you should check the storage recommendations or you need to offload some less-used content like videos and apps. 

Content categories

iOS divides the used content in these categories:

• Apps: Installed apps and their content
  • Photos: Photos and videos stored in the Photos app
  • Media: Music, videos, podcasts, ringtones, and artwork
  • Mail: Emails and their attachments
  • Apple Books: Books and PDFs in the Books app
  • iCloud Drive: iCloud Drive content that has been downloaded locally to your device.
  • Other: Everything else, like system files, software updates, Siri voices, cached files, logs, and more.

iOS only displays the top categories. If a category doesn't take much space, it might be counted as "Other." Storage space taken by "System" is a combination of space taken by iOS and its supporting files. The amount of space required by "System" varies from device to device depending on the device type, model, country, carrier, Siri voices, and more.

Use recommendations to optimize storage

In the Storage section of Settings, iOS might offer recommendations for optimizing your device's storage. Tap Show All to see all the recommendations for your device.

Read the description of each recommendation, then tap Enable to turn it on or tap the recommendation to review the contents you can delete.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2019 6:37 PM in response to dcam_

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

iOS monitors the storage on your device by analyzing how much space each app uses. You can also check the storage on your device in Settings or in iTunes.

How iOS optimizes storage

If your device is low on storage, iOS automatically frees up space while installing an app, updating iOS, downloading music, recording videos, and more.

To make more storage available, iOS can remove some of your items, like streamed music and videos, files in iCloud Drive, and parts of apps that aren't needed. It also removes temporary files and clears the cache on your device. iOS only removes items that can be downloaded again or that aren't needed anymore.

If your device is almost full and iOS can't free up space on your device, you might get a Storage Almost Full alert. If you see this alert, you should check the storage recommendations or you need to offload some less-used content like videos and apps. 

Content categories

iOS divides the used content in these categories:

• Apps: Installed apps and their content
  • Photos: Photos and videos stored in the Photos app
  • Media: Music, videos, podcasts, ringtones, and artwork
  • Mail: Emails and their attachments
  • Apple Books: Books and PDFs in the Books app
  • iCloud Drive: iCloud Drive content that has been downloaded locally to your device.
  • Other: Everything else, like system files, software updates, Siri voices, cached files, logs, and more.

iOS only displays the top categories. If a category doesn't take much space, it might be counted as "Other." Storage space taken by "System" is a combination of space taken by iOS and its supporting files. The amount of space required by "System" varies from device to device depending on the device type, model, country, carrier, Siri voices, and more.

Use recommendations to optimize storage

In the Storage section of Settings, iOS might offer recommendations for optimizing your device's storage. Tap Show All to see all the recommendations for your device.

Read the description of each recommendation, then tap Enable to turn it on or tap the recommendation to review the contents you can delete.

My iPhone says the storage is full and I’m unable to take any picture or download apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.