Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do i keep seeing exchange password required on my mac?

What's strange is that Exchange never asks for the password. It's the mac side:

System preferences, internet accounts

Reminders

Notes,

Calendar,

Contacts...

All "mac" things. And the password is "NEVER" accepted even though it is verifiably correct.

That statement applies to every one of the apps listed here.

BTW, this is getting worse with every OS release. I literally can't enter an acceptable password for any of my exchange accounts.

Oh, yeah, I deleted every keychain entry related to Exchange. Once I did, It took the password(s) exactly one time. Now it won't take accept them anymore.

Thoughts?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 1:38 PM

Hi Becky,

Good thought about setting up a second user and trying there. I'll give that a try this weekend.

This is the error set. These are all personal 365 accounts that show in the internet accounts in Preferences. The same list comes up when I open calendar, Notes, contacts, - pretty much any Apple app on my MBP.

I'm running Mojave 10.14.5.

I'm running parallels. In the Windows 10 VM, all connections work just fine. I use outlook there and I'm never prompted for the passwords (12 emails accounts in there).

I'll give the second account thing a try. If it works there, then what? I really don't want to dump this account. it's 10 years old, ported from each old machine to my new one. It contains settings and applications that I probably don't even remember anymore. Plus, you're talking days or weeks to get everything back. Sigh...

Thoughts?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2019 1:38 PM in response to raina_b22

Hi Becky,

Good thought about setting up a second user and trying there. I'll give that a try this weekend.

This is the error set. These are all personal 365 accounts that show in the internet accounts in Preferences. The same list comes up when I open calendar, Notes, contacts, - pretty much any Apple app on my MBP.

I'm running Mojave 10.14.5.

I'm running parallels. In the Windows 10 VM, all connections work just fine. I use outlook there and I'm never prompted for the passwords (12 emails accounts in there).

I'll give the second account thing a try. If it works there, then what? I really don't want to dump this account. it's 10 years old, ported from each old machine to my new one. It contains settings and applications that I probably don't even remember anymore. Plus, you're talking days or weeks to get everything back. Sigh...

Thoughts?

Aug 27, 2019 1:19 PM in response to darwinp5101

Hi darwinp5101,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. As I understand it, it sounds like you're seeing a prompt to enter an Exchange password.

Can you provide a little detail about what's happening? Do the prompts come up when you take a certain action? What's the exact wording of the password prompt?

When you say it's not accepted, are you seeing a response that the password is incorrect, or something else? When you say the password is verifiably correct, do you mean it seems to be accepted for the same account on a different device?

While it might depend on the answers to the above, seeing if you can replicate the issue in a temporary administrator account may be a helpful start. This would tell you if the issue is system-wide, or if it might be specific to the user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Reply back with the testing results, and the community might be able to help further. Take care.

Aug 27, 2019 2:24 PM in response to darwinp5101

If the Mail ISP (or your employer's Exchange Server) is using password aging, then you will get a server initiated request to change your password. Apple Mail would intercept this request and present its own dialog requesting the password, or entry of that new password, once set up on the Mail server side.

I have an alumni email account and it uses annual password aging. The dialog from Apple Mail is slightly confusing as to the reason, and I had to call the IT staff at the University to actually change the password. Once that new password was entered into the Mail dialog, things returned to normal — until next year.

Aug 28, 2019 7:57 AM in response to VikingOSX

Yes, not the case here. I own several of the 365 accounts that it complains about.

Setting one up works just fine. but using Contacts, Notes, and the systems preferences, Internet accounts, fails almost all the time. The funny thing is that if i just cancel, everything seems to work.

And, if I try to give it a valid password, it never accepts it.

So, this is definitely not my particular problem.

why do i keep seeing exchange password required on my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.