Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch reports different calorie burn for same exercise if tracked as an outdoor walk v. outdoor cycle

If I track the exact same bicycle ride (same distance, intensity, etc.) as an outdoor walk rather than an outdoor cycle, it tracks far more burned calories. Why is this? It makes me doubt the accuracy of the calorie counts. Shouldn't the calories burned be based upon nothing more than my heart rate and the duration of the exercise? What is so different about the outdoor walk exercise and the formula it uses to track calories burned compared to the outdoor cycle exercise? Why does the outdoor walk choice appear to inflate calories burned so much?

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 10:52 AM

Calorie estimates are based on many factors, not just heart rate. Walking a certain distance requires far more energy than bicycling that same distance. I suggest doing some research into the different energy (and thus calorie) levels required for various activities. This information is widely available on the Internet. If one size fit all you wouldn't need different categories in the exercise app. All you would need is one - "being alive".

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2019 10:52 AM in response to mfhlaw

Calorie estimates are based on many factors, not just heart rate. Walking a certain distance requires far more energy than bicycling that same distance. I suggest doing some research into the different energy (and thus calorie) levels required for various activities. This information is widely available on the Internet. If one size fit all you wouldn't need different categories in the exercise app. All you would need is one - "being alive".

Aug 27, 2019 12:17 PM in response to mfhlaw

Even low levels of engagement of multiple muscle groups burns calories that may exceed more aggressive use of a single muscle group.

Some movements are much less mechanically efficient and require more power for the same result (distance)

Heart rate is mediated relatively directly by oxygen needs by muscles.

Consumption of calories by the body is mediated by other highly complex factors that may not overlap heart rate but are not directly measured by the watch

Because they cannot measure everything that goes into energy use by the body, Apple calorie estimates are best guesses based on calculations that factor many variables based on research.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207941

Aug 27, 2019 11:51 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks. It takes a special person to type such a response. Good for you.

For anyone else who might weigh in, what I am saying is that the watch measures my exertion by monitoring my heart rate and calculating calories burned. It doesn’t otherwise know how hard I am exerting myself. All it knows is my heart rate. If the Watch records the same heart rate over time whether the exercise is tracked as a walk or a bike ride, why would the total calorie burn be different?

No need to respond further, Mr. Finch, though I have a feeling you will.

Aug 27, 2019 12:11 PM in response to mfhlaw

mfhlaw wrote:

For anyone else who might weigh in, what I am saying is that the watch measures my exertion by monitoring my heart rate and calculating calories burned. It doesn’t otherwise know how hard I am exerting myself. All it knows is my heart rate. If the Watch records the same heart rate over time whether the exercise is tracked as a walk or a bike ride, why would the total calorie burn be different?

Calorie burn is not as simple as "higher heart rate=more calories". When you tell the watch which form of exercise you're doing, it factors that into the algorithm. Also included in that algorithm is your heart rate, your age and your weight.

Apple Watch reports different calorie burn for same exercise if tracked as an outdoor walk v. outdoor cycle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.