Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to upgrade from OS X Yosemite

I currently have a MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013) with OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5 as the software. I am needing to update to OS X El Capitan but do not have the option to upgrade on my computer Is this possible with my computer? If so, what steps do I need to take?

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 5:22 AM

If your MacBook Air can upgrade further than El Capitan the App Store will recognise this and refuse you El Capitan.

Check these links to see if you can upgrade to Mojave, and if you can't then you might be able to upgrade to High Sierra,

and if you can't upgrade to High Sierra then El Capitan should be available.

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2019 5:22 AM in response to raeven_offutt

If your MacBook Air can upgrade further than El Capitan the App Store will recognise this and refuse you El Capitan.

Check these links to see if you can upgrade to Mojave, and if you can't then you might be able to upgrade to High Sierra,

and if you can't upgrade to High Sierra then El Capitan should be available.

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

how to upgrade from OS X Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.