Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Pro 3'rd Generation Charge While Using???

I use my new Pro 3'rd Generation as a Midi synthesizer, attached to my music keyboard via Midi and a Prosonus audio interface. Fine. That works. BUT...I'm always worried about it running out of power in the middle of a set. Is there any way to actually CHARGE my Ipad Pro 3'rd Generation USB C port WHILE it's being used as a midi and audio output via the usb C port cable??

I know if have older pro ipads, and things like IRig Midi do allow you to charge your ipad while it's connected via lightning cable.

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 7:41 PM

If they don't today, they likely will in a few weeks with iPadOS.

I'm seriously considering this for my iPad Pro 11: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1478612-REG/kanex_k172_1041_ipad_premium_usb_c_hub_for.html/DFF/d10-v21-t1-x968930/SID/article

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 31, 2019 7:04 AM in response to lobsterghost1

i found out that you CANNOT just attach your new IPad Pro USB-C directly into an interface. First of all interfaces all require BUS POWER which the IPad doesn’t supply correctly. Also, even if it DID work....you’d run out of power quickly powering an interface while running synth apps!

I did find “my” best solution! The Hyperdrive unit snaps on magnetically...if you take it out of your case, and Lets you connect via USB-3 to the interface, WHILE letting you charge via the USB-C port and a wall charger.

the only thing that is a little scary is that the Hyperdrive unit can come off easily....so you gotta be careful while using it not to tug on wires etc.

Aug 29, 2019 7:07 PM in response to QuickPost

No...that’s not what I want to do.

ok....so I have the new IPad Pro 3’rd generation with its’ USB C port.

i want a device that can connect to it, that will allow me to send MIDI to it, and also have a nice high quality line out for music performance.

Previous IPad Pro models would let you connect an Irig device to it for the MIDI and you could use the headphone output for the audio.

There is no longer a headphone output.....so everything has to connect to the single USB C port.

So how exactly am I supposed to use the IPad as a MIDI instrument and also hear its’ output?

YES......I know you can use the HUB that allows you to have a headphone output....and also lets you use an old fashioned USB to MIDI cable with it.....but I hear that the audio quality sucks......so what the ****?

ls there no device out there that lets you simply connect to the iPad and gives you MIDI and audio out??

Seriously?

Ipad Pro 3'rd Generation Charge While Using???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.