Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 2020 charging through usb-c port adapter

I have just purchased an iPad pro and am wondering whether if i purchase a usb-c hub adapter (one with a couple usb-c ports, hdmi, usb-a etc.) whether or not the iPad is still able to charge while i use the other usb-c ports for something else? To rephrase, if this hub adapter is connected, could I also connect my usb-c external hard drive to one usb-c port, and my charging cable to another usb-c in the hub adapter, will my iPad charge?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 10:39 AM

You’ll need to check the specifications and capabilities of the USB-C hub - as this will determine its charge-through capabilities.

You’ll certainly be able to simultaneously connect USB Storage devices, but you may not be able to benefit from USB-PD (Power Delivery) Fast Charging whilst connecting to the Power Adapter through the USB Hub. When connected via a USB Hub, your iPad will likely charge at a maximum charging rate of 12W (2.4A @5V).

When directly connected to the Power Adapter supplied with your iPad Pro, your iPad will be able to use Fast Charging at 18-20W (1.5A @12V).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2021 10:39 AM in response to KaimanTeevins

You’ll need to check the specifications and capabilities of the USB-C hub - as this will determine its charge-through capabilities.

You’ll certainly be able to simultaneously connect USB Storage devices, but you may not be able to benefit from USB-PD (Power Delivery) Fast Charging whilst connecting to the Power Adapter through the USB Hub. When connected via a USB Hub, your iPad will likely charge at a maximum charging rate of 12W (2.4A @5V).

When directly connected to the Power Adapter supplied with your iPad Pro, your iPad will be able to use Fast Charging at 18-20W (1.5A @12V).

iPad Pro 2020 charging through usb-c port adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.