Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I charge an iPad from my MacBook?

Can I charge my iPad 12.9" (gen4) from a USB-C port on a 2021 MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max using a USB-C to USB-C Apple charging cable? When I try, it shows the charge indicator for a few seconds and then goes away and stops charging. Would it make a difference with a Thunderbolt 3 cable? Or a Thunderbolt 4 cable? I know that USB-C has options to control the charge direction so that device to device charging can be controlled but I do not see any options in the Apple eco-system for this anywhere.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 12:14 PM

Hey there af32adqws,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand you are having problems charging your iPad from your MacBook. Checking If your iPad won't charge was a great step to help resolve issues charging your iPad. Ensuring your iPad charges when connected to a different power source will help to determine if the issue lies in the cable, the iPad, or the Mac.

According to Charge the iPad battery charging from your Mac requires:

"Connect iPad and your computer with a cable.

Make sure your computer is turned on—if iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off, the battery may drain instead of charge. Look for  on the battery icon to make sure iPad is charging.

If your Mac or PC doesn’t provide enough power to charge iPad, a Not Charging message appears in the status bar.

Note: Don’t try to charge your iPad by connecting it to your keyboard, unless your keyboard has a high-power USB port."

"Connect iPad to the USB port on your computer using the charging cable for your iPad.

If the cable isn’t compatible with the port on your computer, do one of the following:

• If your iPad came with a USB-C Charge Cable and your computer has a USB port, use a USB-C to USB Adapter and a USB-A cable (each sold separately).
  • If your iPad came with a USB-C to Lightning cable and your computer has a USB port, use a Lightning to USB Cable (sold separately).
  • If your iPad came with a Lightning to USB cable and your computer has a USB-C port, connect the USB end of the cable to a USB-C to USB Adapter (sold separately), or use a USB-C to Lightning Cable (sold separately).
  • If your iPad came with a Thunderbolt 4 / USB-4 charging cable and your computer has a USB port, use a USB-C to USB Adapter and a USB-A cable (each sold separately). (You can use Thunderbolt or USB cables with Thunderbolt devices like iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation) and iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation).)"

Have a great day!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 12:14 PM in response to af32adqws

Hey there af32adqws,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand you are having problems charging your iPad from your MacBook. Checking If your iPad won't charge was a great step to help resolve issues charging your iPad. Ensuring your iPad charges when connected to a different power source will help to determine if the issue lies in the cable, the iPad, or the Mac.

According to Charge the iPad battery charging from your Mac requires:

"Connect iPad and your computer with a cable.

Make sure your computer is turned on—if iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off, the battery may drain instead of charge. Look for  on the battery icon to make sure iPad is charging.

If your Mac or PC doesn’t provide enough power to charge iPad, a Not Charging message appears in the status bar.

Note: Don’t try to charge your iPad by connecting it to your keyboard, unless your keyboard has a high-power USB port."

"Connect iPad to the USB port on your computer using the charging cable for your iPad.

If the cable isn’t compatible with the port on your computer, do one of the following:

• If your iPad came with a USB-C Charge Cable and your computer has a USB port, use a USB-C to USB Adapter and a USB-A cable (each sold separately).
  • If your iPad came with a USB-C to Lightning cable and your computer has a USB port, use a Lightning to USB Cable (sold separately).
  • If your iPad came with a Lightning to USB cable and your computer has a USB-C port, connect the USB end of the cable to a USB-C to USB Adapter (sold separately), or use a USB-C to Lightning Cable (sold separately).
  • If your iPad came with a Thunderbolt 4 / USB-4 charging cable and your computer has a USB port, use a USB-C to USB Adapter and a USB-A cable (each sold separately). (You can use Thunderbolt or USB cables with Thunderbolt devices like iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation) and iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation).)"

Have a great day!

Jan 28, 2022 11:22 AM in response to af32adqws

Apple should update:

Jan 28, 2022 11:13 AM in response to af32adqws

I just tried a Cable Matters brand 0.8m Thunderbolt 4 cable and it is charging perfectly. I then tried the 1 meter Apple charging cable again and it only showed that it was charging for a few seconds. Back to the Cable Matters cable, and it is good. I guess the Apple branded USB-C to USB-C cables are just not up to the task. Good to know.

Jan 27, 2022 1:13 PM in response to Chris_C1

Thanks Chris_C1

It looks like you reposted information that I had already gone through.

I have tried 2 different USB-C to USB-C Apple branded charging cables and both yield the same results on all 3 MacBook USB-C ports: the charge indicator is present for a few seconds and then goes away. There is never a "Not Charging" message in the status bar.

Shouldn't the most recent MacBook provide enough power for charging?

Should I really need to use a USB (I assume non -C) to charge from the most recent MacBook?

It seems like it _should_ work.

I also ordered a USB-C Thunderbolt 4 cable. I suspect that maybe... the standard charge cables do not provide compatibility for charging from one intelligent/active USB-C port to another intelligent/active USB-C port. The charging bricks are intelligent enough to determine safe current draw for varying cables, but the iPad and MacBook also need to negotiate high speed data, in addition to the power. Having a newer cable might make it work but I still doubtful. At the very least, I will have another cable for the cable hoarding collection.

Can I charge an iPad from my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.