Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group messages split after update

Installed the latest update (5.3.1) last night, and now group messages are showing on watch as individual messages. Phone still has the group thread. Will there be a fix to the update? Already restarted both devices and issue is still there.

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 10:16 AM

Hey there clarissa148,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand group messages are showing up as individual messages on your Apple Watch after updating. I’ll be happy to help with this.

If you haven’t already, make sure your iPhone has the latest version of iOS using the steps from the following link. Be sure to create a current backup before completing any updates as well.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once you’ve done that, see if this is happening to both Group SMS and Group iMessages. All responses in a Group SMS are sent as individual text messages and the recipients can’t see the other responses from the group. You can read more about how to identify these using this link:

Send a group message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue continues after that, unpair your watch and iPhone, restart your iPhone, and pair the two together again and see if this has any impact on the issue:

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch

Best wishes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2019 10:16 AM in response to clarissa148

Hey there clarissa148,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand group messages are showing up as individual messages on your Apple Watch after updating. I’ll be happy to help with this.

If you haven’t already, make sure your iPhone has the latest version of iOS using the steps from the following link. Be sure to create a current backup before completing any updates as well.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once you’ve done that, see if this is happening to both Group SMS and Group iMessages. All responses in a Group SMS are sent as individual text messages and the recipients can’t see the other responses from the group. You can read more about how to identify these using this link:

Send a group message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue continues after that, unpair your watch and iPhone, restart your iPhone, and pair the two together again and see if this has any impact on the issue:

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch

Best wishes.

Group messages split after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.