Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

okay so i want to switch everything from one iphone to another without starting from new. aka old to old without wiping out data. how is that done?

okay so i want to switch everything from one iphone to another without starting from new. aka old to old without wiping out data. how is that done?

iphone 6s+ to iphone 8+

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 11:37 AM

You cannot do so. If you restore one from the other's iCloud or iTunes backup, you inherently erase the content already on the device being restored.

Quickstart will also do the same thing when using two already setup, activated and in use device - you would end up replacing the contents of one with those of the other.

None of the setup, restore or migration tools are designed to merge contents of two already setup and activated devices. They are all intended to migrate contents from an existing device to a blank, new (or recently erased) device.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2019 11:37 AM in response to witchesstorm

You cannot do so. If you restore one from the other's iCloud or iTunes backup, you inherently erase the content already on the device being restored.

Quickstart will also do the same thing when using two already setup, activated and in use device - you would end up replacing the contents of one with those of the other.

None of the setup, restore or migration tools are designed to merge contents of two already setup and activated devices. They are all intended to migrate contents from an existing device to a blank, new (or recently erased) device.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.